Aluminum OR Steel Trailer?

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #1  

arnoldziffel

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 4225h, Mahindra 2516, several Toro Wheel Horse 522xi machines.
I have a sixteen foot "Top Brand" painted steel trailer that I use a couple of times per year to move my 30hp tractors short distances.

My trailer is in good shape with dual axle brakes that work well.

However, I have an itch to consider a new trailer -- perhaps aluminum. Perhaps a Eighteen footer.

My question: Is the price premium for an aluminum trailer worth it vs. a painted steel trailer? Given my infrequent use am I nuts to consider aluminum?

Opinions please?

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #2  
I have a sixteen foot "Top Brand" painted steel trailer that I use a couple of times per year to move my 30hp tractors short distances.

My trailer is in good shape with dual axle brakes that work well.

However, I have an itch to consider a new trailer -- perhaps aluminum. Perhaps a Eighteen footer.

My question: Is the price premium for an aluminum trailer worth it vs. a painted steel trailer? Given my infrequent use am I nuts to consider aluminum?

Opinions please?

Probably not. But if aluminum is what you want, go for it. Life's too short to worry about minor incremental cost differences;)

Good luck

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #3  
The weight savings is so small on a 25' or less trailer I advise my customers away from aluminum due to cost.

Just not worth it.

Chris

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #4  
resale is real nice with aluminum. I just sold an 18' Featherlite aluminum trailer for $500 less than I paid for it two and half years ago.

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer?
I've noticed that used aluminum trailers have high asking prices. You did well selling you trailer.

I think I would spend the extra $500 or so and buy a new one. (Or was the replacement cost of your trailer now much higher than two and a half years ago?)

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #6  
I've noticed that used aluminum trailers have high asking prices. You did well selling you trailer.

I think I would spend the extra $500 or so and buy a new one. (Or was the replacement cost of your trailer now much higher than two and a half years ago?)

exactly...they went up over 1500 and it was kept real nice. I would have kept it but I stopped towing a race car and it was too light for my tractor.

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #7  
Most aluminum trailers I see that are more than a few years old are just as corroded and crappy-looking at a rusty steel trailer. At least a steel trailer you can easily paint and make look good again... well I guess you could paint an aluminum one. As mentioned, the weight savings is marginal, so my opinion has always been against aluminum trailers- especially considering the cost difference. It is also easier to weld on and modify a steel one if the need arose.

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #8  
Most aluminum trailers I see that are more than a few years old are just as corroded and crappy-looking at a rusty steel trailer. At least a steel trailer you can easily paint and make look good again... well I guess you could paint an aluminum one. As mentioned, the weight savings is marginal, so my opinion has always been against aluminum trailers- especially considering the cost difference. It is also easier to weld on and modify a steel one if the need arose.

So sanding and painting a steel trailer is easier than polishing an aluminum one? Painting over rust is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I also don't understand steel being easier to weld and modify? Maybe more DIY'ers are set up to weld steel but that doesn't make aluminum hard to weld or modify.

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #9  
So sanding and painting a steel trailer is easier than polishing an aluminum one? Painting over rust is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I also don't understand steel being easier to weld and modify? Maybe more DIY'ers are set up to weld steel but that doesn't make aluminum hard to weld or modify.

Well when aluminum corrodes, it pits so polishing won't cut it (at least what I see). I have never had an aluminum trailer, admittedly, but the ones I see, unless brand new, just don't look that good. I do see a lot of semi van trailers with the aluminum rivet rails around the bottom completely corroded away.

And yes, steel is easier to modify. If I want to add tie-downs I can buy steel weld-on ones and weld them on very easily. I have never seen aluminum ones but have never looked. Using steel bolt-on ones creates the whole dissimilar metal contact thing and invites even more corrosion unless you use some kind of isolators.

Not saying everyone has to agree with me, but I like what I like and I have my reasons.

/ Aluminum OR Steel Trailer? #10  
I have both a steel and a featherlite 3110. I use the steel trailer for misc heavy equipment and the featherlite for hauling my cars and tractors. I like the featherlite because it doesn't rust, however the steel trailer is easier to modify for the load, but it does rust. Every few years, I have to rebuild the bed of the steel one and repaint.