alternator connection, what are the poles ?

/ alternator connection, what are the poles ? #1  

Renze

Elite Member
Tractor
Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718
I have a problem:

I bought a brand new Magneton alternator for my 5245 Zetor. Its the model that was fitted on the 5245 from 1991 onwards.
The tractor, as well as my workshop manual, are from 1986. At that time, an older type of alternator was fitted, with external voltage regulator, so my manual cannot tell me how to install the 1991 onwards alternator.

I've got these poles marked on the new alternator:

D+
B+
B-
W

What are they and to what do i need to connect them ? I'm sure it will be easy for someone who knows, but i couldnt find anything on Google or Wikipedia...

help please ?

/ alternator connection, what are the poles ? #2  
B+ would be the positive battery terminal. B- would be the battery negitive. D+ would be the out put of the diode trio. W is most likely be the field terminal. Measure the resistance from the w terminal to ground. It should measure anywhere from 6-30 ohms.

/ alternator connection, what are the poles ? #3  
On units that I am familiar with the "w" wire is for a tachometer (engine RPM) signal.

/ alternator connection, what are the poles ? #4  
newlife said:
B+ would be the positive battery terminal. B- would be the battery negitive. D+ would be the out put of the diode trio. W is most likely be the field terminal. Measure the resistance from the w terminal to ground. It should measure anywhere from 6-30 ohms.

Newlife do you have one of those tractors or are you just speaking from general experience. If you are just giving him general information and his tractor maker does not do things the way you are experienced in you could cost him an alternator.

/ alternator connection, what are the poles ? #5  
Renze do you have john deer dealerships in holland. It seems like Magnetron alternators are used on John Deere also. If you dont have one there try going to the john deere page and posting your question on there.