Alternative power Kioti style

/ Alternative power Kioti style #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
Here's a pic of my CK30 lifting solar panels to be installed on the tractor shed.

David

Attachments

• CIMG0184sm.jpg
    CIMG0184sm.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 306
   / Alternative power Kioti style #2  
Can you tell us a little about what looks like concrete walls on the main house? Are they cast in place? Those dowcorning prefab walls with foam inside? Tilt up? I am becoming a fan of high thermal mass construction so am interested. Thanks

/ Alternative power Kioti style #3  
At risk of drifting off-topic from tractors to construction...

I built my home two years ago using insulated concrete forms for all exterior walls up to the eaves. When we lost power for over 24 hours last winter, with temperatures around zero at night and into the teens during the day, we only lost ten degrees inside the house itself. People in standard stick-built homes lost twenty to thirty degrees. We were still snug and comfortable while others were dealing with frozen pipes. The thermal mass of six inches of concrete combined with the two layers of foam did the trick. Our walls are over 13 inches thick total from interior paint to exterior stucco.

/ Alternative power Kioti style #4  
Thanks, you say ground to eves. Did you run the ICFs up to a triangle shape at the peak of the roof or did you build a wood framed triangle or use a pyramid style roof. Sorry I don't know the names of the styles.

Go solar panels.

/ Alternative power Kioti style
Not exactly off topic as my CK30 is very involved in the construction.

First, one can see much more of the construction and the process at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/468915553RbjdnV. Although I didn't post pics today, what you see was done by myself and a helper in less than 4 weeks. 2 boxes 21X42, 1 box 24X42, and another 28 ft wall.

The material is a SIP, called ProTEC and more info at: http://www.tclear.com/.
Compostion is two reinforced concrete panels with Dow foam. R20 factor.

I have no previous experience with the material, but so far I love it.

Today, with the help of my sweet CK30, we placed the remaining solar panels (36 total) on the roof.

David

Moderator, I guess I no longer know how to post links without the full url- sorry:confused:

/ Alternative power Kioti style #6  
I am helping my neighbor build his house and he used nudura foam forms..the r-value is 55 I believe...like large lego blocks

/ Alternative power Kioti style #7  
My house has the ICFs from the footings under the basement to the eaves. The gable ends are 2x6 construction built out to the same thickness as the ICF walls below them. I recessed my windows in 45 degree cutouts/window bucks so you can look out the windows from anywhere in the room without the wall thickness blocking your view. I love the way it has come out.

Oh, and my LK3054XS has 100.5 hours on it now, most of it spent blowing snow and hauling horse manure.