Backhoe Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE!

/ Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE! #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
...just had to pick up a couple more large u-bolts. I noticed on my old 1418 that the top eye on the bucket is only 6 inches above the two lower eyes. On the plate that the stump grinder is mounted to, the top eye is 9 inches higher than the bottom two eyes. The bucket is going to end up with about a 7 inch distance. I was hoping to get this distance greater (for more leverage from the curl cylinder), but the geometry ended up such that the bucket wouldn't lower far enough to dump with the lift arms low, and with the lift arms high it fell to a "point of no return" and couldn't be curled back up, as well as binding the lift arms if you tried to lower them. This appeared to be a function of having the distance to the top eye just too great (it was 10-11 inches or so).

Anyway, would someone be willing to take a quick measurement on their 400 series and see what the distance is between the two lower lift arms and the upper curl arm? I know the attachment deal is different, but the geometry should be about the same. I need the measurement from the lower pivot points to the upper pivot point, if some one would be kind enough to measure this!

TIA!

Dave

/ Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE! #2  
Re: Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...

This is a side view of the attachment points. The distance from the center line of the lower lift arm bolts and the center of the upper center link bolt is about 6 inches +- 1/4 inch.
See attached.

Attachments

• 54-170658-Image1.jpg
    54-170658-Image1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 131
   / Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE!

Correction: got it done! Now, I'll just have to see if my home-made mount will stand the test of time!

Here's the URL with some new photos:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/tractor.htm>http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/tractor.htm</A>

Dave

Cool! Thanks MR...I would have liked to have made the distance a little large to gain more curl leverage, but it just didn't seem to work in terms of the geometry.

Dave

/ Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE! #5  

davesisk,
I like your home page with pictures and explination, very well done.
If you get a chance can you shoot some pictures of the backhoe bucket on the tractor and in operation.
PJ

Will do, when I get an opportunity. I believe I have created a little bit of a safety hazard with this thing, though. I'll dig with it the same way I dig with the 48" bucket, by picking up the front end of the machine with the edge. The machine is pretty stable resting on the edge of the large bucket (after all, it's as wide as the machine). Resting on the edge of the 8" bucket, it tends to tip to one side. I seriously doubt that I can lift the front end high enough to tip the whole machine over on level ground, but stranger things have happened. I'll just have to exercise extreme care when using it, especially the first several times. Who knows, sometime in the future I might decide to add an arm and add plumb in another cylinder and valve to turn it into more of a "backhoe" like attachment.

Dave

I got an opportunity to do quite a bit of digging with the 8" trencher bucket and homemade mount today. The water service line between the meter and my house sprung a leak (apparently several days ago). The service is the blue poly-butylene pipe using from about 1983-1995, and now known to deteriorate within about 10 years and begin leaking. And (of course) the water line goes from the meter to the house by going under the concrete driveway.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif! I'm going to replace all the pipe with new stuff that has a 30-year warranty, as well as running a larger pipe under the driveway to prevent having to tear up concrete anytime in the future. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

So, I had a plumber come and give me a quote. Then I asked him how the price would change if I dug the 60' trench for the pipe and removed the 8" x 12' wide section of concrete in the driveway. The price was about half. So, I spent from about 4-5 hours tonight digging about 45' of the 14" deep trench. My lovely wife went to Home Depoot and rented a gasoline powered 14" wet concrete saw for me. Two neighbors wandered over and worked on cutting the concrete while I dug the trench with the tractor. (What great neighbors! I'm amazed that they worked so hard only for Margaritas! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

Anyway, I am so far pleasantly surprised that the homemade mount has held up quite well. I expected one or both of the two U-bolts that connect to the curl arm to pop off at any time, but they haven't! I've picked up the rear end of the tractor (not the front end!) several times with the lift arms, and the homemade mount has held up like a champ! So far, so good...

The plumber will be here tommorrow to finish this for me (I've still got some digging to do, though, plus, we didn't get the concrete cut all the way through before the blades were all used up). He seemed to be more than happy to cut his price in half if I did the "dumb work" (digging the trench and busting up the concrete), so I think the 8" trencher bucket has already paid for itself!

Dave

Re: backhoe bucket mounted...UPDATE

Well, got that 12-14" deep 60' trench finished this morning. Also, got the 8" x 12' section of concrete in the driveway busted up and removed. It's ready for the plumber to lay the pipe, connect it, and backfill. I didn't break the backhoe bucket mount nor the tractor itself. If I didn't break my homemade mount doing this, I don't think I will! If I may quote MossRoad, did I mention that I really like this machine?

Gotta wash the tractor (and myself) after we get the water back on (I actually cut the original pipe near the house...oops!) and return the concrete saw and jackhammer to Home Depoot (and, oh yeah, fix the phone line that I cut...oops #2), then I'm done for the day...

Dave

/ Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE! #9  
Re: backhoe bucket mounted...UPDATE

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, er, I mean got a lot done. The time I had with the backhoe before the cylinder decided to spew was awesome. I'm already convinced that backoes are definately worth the price and the risk. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Nice to hear that your PT adaptation worked as planned.

/ Almost got that backhoe bucket mounted...DONE! #10  

You may quote me anytime that you are praising these fine machines. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Just don't quote me when I do something dumb and make the mistake of posting it here /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Sounds like the machine really helped you.