Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on?

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
So, there are a number of issues which could simply be set up as "new farmer doesn't know what he is doing", and I recognize this... but that doesn't change what is going on in my field.

I purchased 85ac 2 years ago. It had historically (??? several years ago) been tobacco but for quite a while it has been soybean/corn rotation. 2 years ago it was in soybeans. Last year it was in annual rye. Last fall I prepped it and using the worst seeder in the world (Brand new Land Pride NTS 11' - Brillion type) I put in my seed.

Alfalfa 6422Q at 20lbs/ac

HarveStar at 8lbs/ac

I will admit, initially, I dumped 100lbs of seed on about 2.5ac (after calibration) and had to go back and recalibrate which still was dropping heavy so I simply cut it in 1/2 to get a 'field rate' of 20/ac. (this is one of the reasons I hate this seeder). The 40lbs/ac actually looks great! as it should.

But, after I finally got a consistent drop of 20lbs, I finished off the field. But now, it is growing extremely strange (to me). It looks striped, so I would guess inconsistent drop rate. Some, as in the pic, looks like there is NO ALFALFA at all. However, when I go out to the field, I can see small anemic looking plants growing all through the area. It is almost like I have strips of 'good' and 'poor' soil. It is growing, but absolutely awfully. The orchard grass (planted at the same time in second box) seems to be growing pretty well with a good distribution.

Before I planted anything, I took soil samples and they all came out spot on. I added lime at 2T/ac to bugger it for alfalfa. But otherwise, everything looked good. I have sprayed no chemicals. I do have some weeds (pennycress and chickweed) but it was light and interspersed throughout both good and bad growth areas.

The Rye grew normally and evenly throughout the field last year.

Any thoughts?

IMG_5679.JPG

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #2  
I am not sure how you spread it, but it sounds like you did it a little wrong.

First, typically you cut the spread rate to half of what you want, in this case 14 pounds to the acre and spread your field in a certain direction. Then you spread your field in the opposing direction again. This gives you a much more consistent spread pattern at the application rate required (28 pounds to the acre).

But that might not be the case. Certain types of seed can take awhile to really germinate. Clover is terrible. I seeded down a field one time and the next year it was nearly bare. I almost ripped it open and started over, but my Uncle said, "wait 2 years, sometimes it takes awhile", and the second year it was nice and full.

That may be the case here.

Nice field by the way!!

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #3  
I don't know anything about alfalfa or orchard grass, but that is a beautiful place.

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on?
I am not sure how you spread it, but it sounds like you did it a little wrong.

First, typically you cut the spread rate to half of what you want, in this case 14 pounds to the acre and spread your field in a certain direction. Then you spread your field in the opposing direction again. This gives you a much more consistent spread pattern at the application rate required (28 pounds to the acre).

But that might not be the case. Certain types of seed can take awhile to really germinate. Clover is terrible. I seeded down a field one time and the next year it was nearly bare. I almost ripped it open and started over, but my Uncle said, "wait 2 years, sometimes it takes awhile", and the second year it was nice and full.

That may be the case here.

Nice field by the way!!

This was put in with a drop (Brillion type) spreader. I don't know of anyone who goes 2 directions using this type of spreader. I know using a NT drill, most go 2 directions at 90deg.

And thanks for the compliment on the field. We purchased this place because we loved the view.

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #5  
How did you prep the field? My neighbor put in 25 acres of alfalfa after using a disc and drag. He seeded with an old 6-ft wide Brillion. His field is flood irrigated so he had to level and tilt the surface to get proper drainage. And because of hardpan he used a D9 Cat with dual 5-ft rippers as the initial step in the prep.

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on?
It was NT soybeans/corn for many years.

I put it into annual rye last spring. I mowed it close in July and disced 2 ways in August. I rolled with a cultipacker, then planted. It was a very smooth and good seedbed.

It had been limed immediately after the mowing in July.

There are 2 things I didn't do which I wish I had. 1. I wish I had sprayed just before planting. I has asked a local farmer to spray, but do to weather and timing, he wasn't able to get to it and time kept ticking away. I've since purchased a sprayer to alleviate this issue. and 2. I wish I had added either oats or wheat to the planting to give it some coverage for weed suppression. I think because I did not, I will have a tougher time with weeds for a while.

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #7  
What was the spray program for the Corn/Soybeans? Some of the Herbicides used for them have a residual effect that will keep alfalfa from growing.

/ Alfalfa/orchard grass... what is going on? #8  
+1 ^^, local farmers lease much of their land, every so often some acreage changes on who is farming.. new farmer got lousy crop, found out previous farmer has applied a chemical with residual that effected next years crop... oops.