Flail Mower Alamo Flail Mower

/ Alamo Flail Mower #1  

Loaderman22

Veteran Member
Tractor
1947 Ford 2N, 75 MF 30B, 75 Swinger Loader, 1979 Cat D3
Hello all,
I'm looking at buying a 88" flail mower that was originally on a Highway Dept. boom arm, but want to use it on my 3PT hitch. I understand it doesn't have the 3PT mounting hardware. but I can weld those on. I thought of using the stock rear hydraulic remote on the tractor to run the flail motor thats still on there instead of the PTO shaft, since that gearbox isn't there. Is this enough power to turn that blade drum? I will have it on my John Deere 2155 4wd w/FEL 55HP. If it was the PTO, I wouldn't be concerned, its over the 5hp per foot of flail ratio, but this would be on the hydraulic remote....

/ Alamo Flail Mower #2  
I dont think thats enough . I may be wrong , but all the ones I have seen have a separate pump on the front of the tractor and a BIG tank for fluid due to heat

/ Alamo Flail Mower #3  
Not going to work. The pumps used to run highway flails flow big gallons. What is going to serve as counter weight? County has a 4 wheel drive 150 hp tractor for their side boom mower. Of course it was bought with our money.

/ Alamo Flail Mower #4  
I dont think thats enough . I may be wrong , but all the ones I have seen have a separate pump on the front of the tractor and a BIG tank for fluid due to heat
A tractor can barely run a hydraulic post hole digger, much less a mower. You need at least double the flow, probably a fair bit more to run a mower. Not to mention much bigger plumbing and way more cooling.

You could run a PTO pump & make a hydraulic power pack, but you are gonna be into that $2k or so all said & done. And hydraulics will eat up noticeably more power than gears, pulleys & shafts. Not sure what a gearbox, some PTO shafts, & pulleys will run, but it would likely be cheaper.

/ Alamo Flail Mower
Thank you much, I shall pass on the mower, even though the current auction price is less than a beer at a big market Baseball Stadium. It's worth tons more in just scrap, but I like to use quality items instead of melting them down to be recycled as crap.