Alamo flail mower questions.

/ Alamo flail mower questions. #1  

Smokeydog

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, M59, M5030DT
Bought a used Alamo74 cutter. One of the features is dual rear laminated, bushhog type trailing height gauge wheels. It’s also has the roller bar.
IMG_3099.jpeg
IMG_3100.jpeg

The roller bar has some perforations from rust where it was sitting on the ground. Question, do you really need the roller bar with wheels? Patch the roller with strip of flat bar? Set the roller bar 1-2” above cutting height as back up?

Driveline shop might be able to re-tube the roller if I could source the right diameter pipe?

The flail knives have been recently replaced with heavier flailmaster cutters. Runs smooth. Haven’t found belt side cutter bar bearing zerk yet.

Maintenance tips for this cutter would be appreciated. Viable alternative to rotary cutter? Property is beautiful but tough.
IMG_3103.jpeg

/ Alamo flail mower questions. #2  
The roller is not needed with the wheels. It is much more manuverable using the wheels & turns easier. Rotate the shaft, the zerk is accessable through hole in the panel. Same thing to access the zerk on the shaft from the gear box to the drive pulley.
I will attach a parts manual that might help. I also have a user manual that is too big to attach. If you are interested, leave me a note with your email address & I'll send it to you.

Attachments

• Mott shd.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
   / Alamo flail mower questions. #4  
The roller is not needed but it makes it darned hard to scalp with. I would set it an inch or two higher than the wheels. How rusted is it? A few photos would be nice. An Alamo flail is not a bush hog replacement. They cannot handle thick woody brush very well. The photo you posted does not look to bad to me, its mostly grass. If you cannot drive over it a bushog would be a better choice. Or a chainsaw an even better choice. I have an Alamo SHD88 and love it. I do not have the rear wheels like you but they are nice mowers and way heavier duty than most flails.

/ Alamo flail mower questions.
The grassy areas turn into 6’+ weedy lots in the fall for once a year cutting. Joe-Pye weed, iron weed, black berry, trees, etc. have reclaimed boarders with brown tree cutter. Hoping the flail can cut/mulch better and not leave clumps from rotary cutters that kill grass and encourage weeds.

Don’t have big fields but many smaller tree surrounded old pastures, paddocks and meadows trying to keep from being reforested. These support an abundance of wildlife. Have gone from farming cattle, horses, goats to deer and turkey.

IMG_3109.jpeg

Rust had perforated the tube for several feet. Weakened enough to dent/crush in several spots. Significant amount debris in the tube now from the holes from cutting grass. It’s either remove or re-tube time.

Previous owner had replaced all the pins, shackles and blades. Ran smooth. Under and top of deck looks good.

Had to slot the belt cover access hole slightly to better reach the cutter bar bearing grease zerk. All bearings smooth and thick cuticle old grease may testify of past lubrication.

Haven’t run it, just seeing what I got and lubricated maintenance. Thinking I’ll try as is for awhile. Remove the rear roller and see if any difference? Airflow, mulching or cut quality issues? Thinking I would prefer the larger swivel wheels. Property sometimes a lot back and forth cutting to wood line, creeks and ponds.

Be looking for appropriate size tube or pipe to replace the roller in the future. Driveline shop could easily prep and weld the end caps to a new tube. Low speed roller might attempt self repair. $2K OEM not an option.

/ Alamo flail mower questions. #7  
That tube is pretty rusty. I agree that your best choice is to remove or repair.
Haven’t run it, just seeing what I got and lubricated maintenance. Thinking I’ll try as is for awhile. Remove the rear roller and see if any difference? Airflow, mulching or cut quality issues? Thinking I would prefer the larger swivel wheels. Property sometimes a lot back and forth cutting to wood line, creeks and ponds.

Be looking for appropriate size tube or pipe to replace the roller in the future. Driveline shop could easily prep and weld the end caps to a new tube. Low speed roller might attempt self repair. $2K OEM not an option.
Flailmaster offers a replacement roller. Not sure what the cost would be.

Cut tender spring grass like a lawn. Quieter than rotary cutter. More hp efficient? No windrowing of cut material.

Still playing around with setup. Since my property is kinda rough and have tail wheels might add top link floating link like on my rotary cutters. Sometimes I could see the rear wheels come off the ground with the regular top link effecting the cut height. Keeping the side skids and roller 1-2” above the ground.

/ Alamo flail mower questions. #9  
I removed the lift links between the lift arms & the 3 point hitch & used chain. Here is the page from the manual.

3.png

/ Alamo flail mower questions. #10  
Cut tender spring grass like a lawn. Quieter than rotary cutter. More hp efficient? No windrowing of cut material.

Still playing around with setup. Since my property is kinda rough and have tail wheels might add top link floating link like on my rotary cutters. Sometimes I could see the rear wheels come off the ground with the regular top link effecting the cut height. Keeping the side skids and roller 1-2” above the ground.
Happy Mowing.

Having tail wheels on that beautiful Flail Mower is
something you will be glad you have on your Flail
mower.