Alabama Amateur Farmer & Mechanic

/ Alabama Amateur Farmer & Mechanic #1  

Dan370

Tractor
John Deere 1050 (1987)
I got an old John Deere 1050 (1987) that ran hot on me while i was gone for awhile. It was smoking real dark black smoke. I changed the oil & put water back in the radiator. It seemed to crank work ok. I felt like maybe it was ok. I fired it up to plow my garden and a loud clacking noise (like a rod knocking?) with black smoke started and I had no real power.

This is my second summer with a tractor and gardening. I have 2 questions.

1. What is wrong in your opinion (motor rebuild replacement)?
2. If I'm looking at a huge cost, then what is my best and cheapest option to replace it? I'm 71 yrs old and retired. I did replace the clutch in it about a year ago and that was a nightmare!

/ Alabama Amateur Farmer & Mechanic #2  
Sounds like you are looking at a motor rebuild. The easiest thing would be to find another running 1050 and save your current one for parts.

/ Alabama Amateur Farmer & Mechanic
Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your input.

/ Alabama Amateur Farmer & Mechanic #4  
I'm not familiar with that tractor, or that engine, but I have rebuilt the Cummins 6 cylinder engine on my dozer. It was all done in frame. I removed the head and the oil pan, pulled the pistons, and then the sleeves. Overall, it was more intimidating thinking about doing it then the actual process of doing it. I don't want to do it again, but cost savings of doing it myself was significant.