AKTIV Sickle Bar Mower?

/ AKTIV Sickle Bar Mower? #1  

CDennyRun

Gold Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
Well, I just bought a AKTIV sickle bar mower (sat in the weather for 5 years) and a parts mower, and a spare blade for $50. I never heard of AKTIV, but figured what the heck. The price was right, and worse case, I could always use it as yard art. I'd really love to use it to cut hay though. Anyone know much about these things? It's a model TH, 7' and will definitely need some love to make it operational! I really can't find much of anything on it, on the interwebs, and would like to know more.

Thanks!

Chris

/ AKTIV Sickle Bar Mower? #2  
Well, I just bought a AKTIV sickle bar mower (sat in the weather for 5 years) and a parts mower, and a spare blade for $50. I never heard of AKTIV, but figured what the heck. The price was right, and worse case, I could always use it as yard art. I'd really love to use it to cut hay though. Anyone know much about these things? It's a model TH, 7' and will definitely need some love to make it operational! I really can't find much of anything on it, on the interwebs, and would like to know more.

Thanks!

Chris

Never heard of that brand.

I've restore several sicklebars (MF 31, Allis Chalmers 80T, Farmall Super A side mount mower). Found the parts I needed at Tractor Supply.

Good luck

/ AKTIV Sickle Bar Mower?
Never heard of that brand.

I've restore several sicklebars (MF 31, Allis Chalmers 80T, Farmall Super A side mount mower). Found the parts I needed at Tractor Supply.

Good luck

Thanks flusher! I hope it works out to be usable. Here a couple pics

IMAG2143.jpg

IMAG2141.jpg

/ AKTIV Sickle Bar Mower? #4  
Don't know if you still watch this for replies, but I have an AKTIV and an extra base. I may be able to help you out some. I will say this, Mine was Very used when I got the farm but some TLC and parts let it work well for me about 10 years of hay work. (25 acres to mow)
I like it and am hoping to get it back into the shape it was in when I was using it a lot. Several things good are that it takes standard blades like "most" old mowers, Ford and Dearborne are some I know it fits. The keystone shaped blade that goes in the point, and the point are standard too. It will take a blad3-n-half if you are familiar with them. THE WEAK LINK The pitman was cracked right where the casting leaves the bearing housing. That, to me is the weakest part of the mower. The pitman is a piece of cast and some come with a bushing for a bearing and one I got had a roller bearing which I thought a lot of. They can be welded if you can do cast and last time I bought one it was $50. Probably twice that by now. The belts last very well and it runs nice and smooth when it's sharp and greased. If it breaks away too easy, the bolt on the bar can be tightned, but if you overtighten it, you will be headed to the right in a hurry. I'll see if I still have the parts book on it and get back to you if you are still interested. Have a great day