Airsoft Pistols

/ Airsoft Pistols #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
After spending too much money on bird seed and after seeing the rodent squirrels start to eat our feeders, I bought an airsoft pistol. A Crossman, spring loaded for 15 bucks in Walmart- truly a waste of money. No accuracy at 15'!

I have other "hardware" but the wife doesn't want to kill them-only discourage. Many years ago I had a short Crossman 22 pellet rifle that you pumped up-either bounce a pellet off a piece of 1/4 plywood or go through it.

Don't think they make those anymore. Any suggestions as to a non-lethal weapon to discourage these pests?

I bought some liquid squirrel repellent at TSC- the rodents loved it!:licking:

/ Airsoft Pistols #2  
If you have a feeder hanging from a tree limb, get a 5-gal bucket and turn it upside down above the feeder. Punch a single hole in the bottom and put a knot in the wire or clamp something on the wire to hold the bucket in place. The squirrels will crawl over the side of the bucket and slide off to the ground. You can paint the bucket with some fancy pattern so it doesn't look so awful.

For a ground based feeder, you can buy a squirrel guard or make one yourself. The feeder should be far enough away from any trees so the squirrels can't Kamikaze down out of the tree to land on the feeder. I went to Walmart and bought the biggest stainless steel mixing bowl I could find. I drilled a hole in the center bottom and mounted it upside down on my post about 5-1/2' up so the squirrels can't jump up past it. They come up the pole and cannot get around the bowl. It's like rat guards they put onto the mooring lines on ships.

/ Airsoft Pistols #4  
Jim gave some great advice.

I don't know about the paintball guns. Never tried one.

I would say that, most likely, you only have one or two real offenders. If you take them out, your feeder will be OK for a while. I have to do that at my mother's place, from time to time.

Crossman does make a CO2 powered .22 cal pellet pistol that will do the job. Crosman | Airguns | Pistols | 2240 Pistol (.22) Very accurate, and plenty powerful. I've taken crows with mine. Just not "non-lethal."

Oh, and you can do that while she's not around. :D

/ Airsoft Pistols #5  
I put a 4"PVC pipe around my post, squirrels cannot get up it. Now they are limited to cleaning up what the birds drop.

/ Airsoft Pistols #6  
Bigger is better.. why limit your capabilities with a pistol

take a look at this thing .357 caliber air rifle 175 gr bullets @ 800 fps

Cabela's: Benjamin Rogue .357 ePCP Air Rifle

Honestly, unless you are willing to spend several hundred $$ on a pistol you will be shooting with KY windage

brian