Air pressure

/ Air pressure #1  

Skeletor

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1725mb
What pressures do you guys run in your tires? I replaced my factory turfs today with 6 ply r-14s. I will be replacing the rears in a month or so with the r-14s aswell. I do a lot of loader work should I go higher that whatever the sidewall says? I’m gonna use it tomorrow but I didn’t have the time to do it today.

/ Air pressure #2  
I keep my front R4 6 ply tires at 40 psi, which in my case is 5 below the max sidewall pressure. Max sidewall is the pressure required to achieve the load carrying capacity of the tire, so there is no point that I'm aware of to inflate over this value.
My rears are at 10-12 psi.

/ Air pressure #3  
On an MF 2660 I run my 11.2x24 6-ply front tires at 18 psi. Over the years had chronic very slow leaks in them -- so slow I never really dug into the issues. Because of an accidental bent wheel being replaced last year, it has a tube in it & eventually the other front one will get a tube too. The rears are 18.4x26 10-ply which I run at 20 psi or a little less. The rears are fluid filled, the fronts are not. These are Titan brand (Titan took over Goodyear for off-road tires a few years back but after this tractor was made in 2010.)

All R1 AG tires.

/ Air pressure #4  
What pressures do you guys run in your tires? I replaced my factory turfs today with 6 ply r-14s. I will be replacing the rears in a month or so with the r-14s aswell. I do a lot of loader work should I go higher that whatever the sidewall says? I’m gonna use it tomorrow but I didn’t have the time to do it today.
What size are your tires?

/ Air pressure #5  
I run both sets approx 5psi below what manual says to run, seems to give me better contact pattern.
my fronts are lugged R1 and rears are R4

/ Air pressure #6  
...I replaced my factory turfs today with 6 ply r-14s. I will be replacing the rears in a month or so with the r-14s...
Do you drive in 2 wheel drive? Or were the R-14 the same circumference as your old turf tires?

Likewise, when you buy the rear tires are the same outer distance as the turf tire?

/ Air pressure #7  
I have R-1's on my M6040. 40 in the front. 16 in the rear. I do a lot of grapple work. That's why the fronts are pumped up. 16 in the rear give a full contact patch.

R-14 being a new type - you would think the manufacturer would provide guidance on tire pressures.

/ Air pressure #8  
I run my fronts at max pressure on the sidewall so that they remain as "tall" as possible so when I am in 4wd, with a loaded bucket, the rotational speed of front and rear are as close to engineering as possible.
Rears I am not too fussy about as I seldom carry objects that would cause those to compress enough to significantly change the radius from axle center to ground.

/ Air pressure #9  
Looking at pictures it looks like the R14 is a mixed/cross between a R1 and a R4 .... Wonder what manufacturers say about inflation...

My MF GC 1715 with R4 says 22 PSI in front, and 20PSI on rears...... Why not try what manual says and if need be experiment from there....

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR