Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money.

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
The bad capacitor on the air-conditioner makes huge electric bills.
I should have replaced it earlier.
So, shame on the bad capacitor....
Jkk

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #2  
I was in the air conditioning business for 38 years and I never heard of a weak capacitor. I replaced many blown capacitors that were usually swollen up or leaking but all the ones I checked were either the right mf or shorted out or had the wires burned off. I find this a very unusual event.

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #3  
I have been in hvac for 25 years. The capacitor will blow swell or leak. I don’t think I have ever seen a week one but if your air won’t shut off shut it down and clean the coils take the top off and split to coils. Don’t listen to the first and second year apprentices that tell you coils don’t need split

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #4  
I am not in the AC business, but I don’t understand how a bad capacitor can cause the system to keep running. The capacitors start and run the motors. If they are bad, the specific motor may hum, turn slowly or not start at all.

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #5  
What I’ve found is a slipping belt results in the coils icing over and the unit keeps running because it’s never satisfied…

When I have a bad capacitor the motor doesn’t or barely functions…

Not in the business but have 18 I’m responsible for.

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #6  
Gawd I hope none of those people I charged for coil cleaning don't see this and get upset because I overlooked to install a fresh capacitor.

/ Air-conditioner is running forever?? check the capacitor first before spending a lot of money. #7  
This needs to go in the "reasons we aren't going to make it" thread.