Air Compressors

/ Air Compressors #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Wha's everyone using to push air to their plasma cutters? I have an old DeWalt that I thought I'd be able to limp along but it turns out that's not the case:eek:

So what's the smallest I could probably get by with(I'd like to not have it bolted to the garage floor and don't have 220)? What brand? My initial research is pointing me toward the 20 gal Ingersoll Rand garage mate https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200375221_200375221?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air%20Tools%20%2B%20Compressors%20%3E%20Portable%20Air%20Compressors%20%3E%202%20-%209%20Cfm%20Air%20Compressors&utm_campaign=Ingersoll%20Rand&utm_content=1592073&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu56b3ZqP4AIVnrXACh1d4gc7EAQYAyABEgJTdvD_BwE

Opinions?

ETA I did search and the last applicable thread appears to be more than five years old.

Last edited:
   / Air Compressors #3  
Your cutter should list the pressure range and cfm it needs. Having a large reserve can help a bit but the basic good policy is to meet or exceed the plasma cutters minimum requirements.

/ Air Compressors
Your cutter should list the pressure range and cfm it needs. Having a large reserve can help a bit but the basic good policy is to meet or exceed the plasma cutters minimum requirements.

Yes, but a compressor capable of sustained 6 cfm is outside of my price range. I'd like tank capacity to run cut say a 30-40 seconds (about 24" of cutting in 3/8" material), which in my case is about 18-20 gallons of air but since I can't use every bit of pressure from the tank I'm looking to see what others are doing. Since I need 80+ psi I'll really only be able to use about ~40% of the capacity (roughly if it's a 140 psi working) so when the pump kicks on at ~100 psi providing 5.5 cfm it isn't going to maintain but it will probably get me to the 30-40 seconds of cut time I'm shooting for. This is all beer math so take it for what it's worth. In the end I'm looking for other's experience to help me with the minimum size that keeps the project moving without unnecessary delays for waiting on air.

/ Air Compressors #6  
Pretty much what you are talking about. 1/4" to 1/2" material, 8-16" cutting length at a time. Longest I have cut is about 24" in heavy expanded metal.

In several years of use of this setup, I never had the pressure drop enough to stop a cut.

I have thought about adding another tank, but the truth is I don't need it. I could actually get by with a smaller compressor, but this one was cheap at an outlet store because it had some cooling fins broke off.

/ Air Compressors #8  
Not all Plasma cutters use the same amount of CFH. Most are around 7 but there is one ( I am not advertising for it ) That uses only 2.6.. Victor / Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42 has a technology called Vent to Shield. it only requires 2.6 CFH to cut even 1/2". the machine is 115/230 and 40 amp @ about $800. I have one in my collection of 4 plasma cutters. If you have a beat down old torch on your machine often times Victor has an adaptor to install that will take one of their torches including the Vent to Shield torch SL40. Or let me know what you have. I have boxes of crap that may have what you need. Otherwise,
A 6 hp 60 gln should get you going.

/ Air Compressors #9  
You have to consider how much air you are turning over.
Compressed air has moisture in it and condenses at point of use if it is not allowed to rest/cool down.
Moisture kills consumables with plasma cutters.

/ Air Compressors #10  
You have to consider how much air you are turning over.
Compressed air has moisture in it and condenses at point of use if it is not allowed to rest/cool down.
Moisture kills consumables with plasma cutters.

That's interesting Yomax, I wasn't aware that the cutmaster only needed 2.6cfm, I had a old Thermal Dynamics 20 amp machine years ago that would only do about .125 but man did leave a nice finish. I use a DAD500 by Devilbliss for a dryer. I used to use way back for painting cars.