Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch?

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #1  

Gavman

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 4940
I have always assumed I would get an airbag system similar to this LoadLIfter 5000 Air Springs. My question is, would something like this be a better way to go, or would it be better to get a weight distributing hitch instead? I haul about 7 or 8 thousand lbs. pretty consistently on a 20' gooseneck trailer, however I am thinking about getting a 20' bumper pull trailer to lighten my load a bit. Although, I do not want to deal with the sagging rear end problems that go along with heavy bumper pull trailers! Anybody have any experience with these systems?

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #2  
Use both to get the most advantage.:D :D

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #3  
I would think the hitch would be the best beings it helps keep the
trailer from swaying also!:confused:

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #4  
I have air bags on my F350 and they are great! My truck is lifted 7" with 5" springs in back. Needless to say the ride is great, but the load carrying went bye bye. The bags brought back the load capacity and maintained the smooth ride.

Have used it to tow my Jeep and Backhoe with no problems at all...even with a full load in the bed.

Have a picture of the truck and BH hooked up to show ride height, but can't figure how to post it.

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #5  
Gavman said:
I have always assumed I would get an airbag system similar to this LoadLIfter 5000 Air Springs. My question is, would something like this be a better way to go, or would it be better to get a weight distributing hitch instead? I haul about 7 or 8 thousand lbs. pretty consistently on a 20' gooseneck trailer, however I am thinking about getting a 20' bumper pull trailer to lighten my load a bit. Although, I do not want to deal with the sagging rear end problems that go along with heavy bumper pull trailers! Anybody have any experience with these systems?

Those are nice air bags. Do you like them better than Firestone Ride rites? The wireless system is really cool. I might just have to go for them! :)

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #6  
In my opinion, the air bags are a good idea if you have a fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailer that has enough hitch weight to lower the back end of the truck. But for a conventional, or bumper pull, trailer, the weight distributing hitch is much much better. Just remember that the air bags only hold the back end up off the axle. They do not reduce the weight on the axle and rear tires. In fact, a heavy tongue weight actually will reduce the weight on the front axle and put even more weight on the rear axle. The weight distributing hitch does just what its name says; it distributes the tongue weight to both the front axle of the truck as well as its rear axle and back to the trailer axle(s).

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #7  
Bird, with my truck camper mounted and the bumper pull trailer hooked up the use of both air bags and the weight distributing hitch works well.:D :D :D

It means I can always keep the rear of the truck at the same height so it steers the same and also helps for carrying the load.:D I actually measure the height of the rear fender wells unloaded so I have a reference point to go to.:D

My trailer requires a weight distributing hitch and the air bags just help out.:D

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #8  
Egon, I don't see a problem with using both, except if both are needed, you're probably overloaded.:D But if a person is only going to use one or the other, I'd sure go with the load distributing hitch.

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch? #9  
No argument on that Bird. I'm just on the verge of being overloaded a little!:eek: :eek: :eek:

/ Air bag system vs. weight distributing hitch?
Builder
I have not really researched all the different brands of air bag suspension systems. I just googled "air bag suspension system" and picked something that was similar to what I intend to get.:)
I do intend to get both eventually, I just wanted to see which one would be better by itself. I will get that one first, and then get the other later.
Thanks for all the opinions and shared expertise.