Agriculture as a college major?

/ Agriculture as a college major? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Talking with the one boy. Grades are good and apparently his goal now is NC State and agriculture.

Keep in mind, he's still a teen who can't drive, and I know things can change down the road.

Just got me to think, is it worth helping contribute money for a 4 year degree in agriculture and exactly what do you do? Something that I've never thought about. First thought is without a farm, what are you going to farm? On top of that, where you going to get the money to buy a farm after college:laughing:

Assuming he applies himself and gets decent grades in college, exactly what do you do with an agriculture degree?

Anyone have any experience? Is there a decent future in farming?

A good friend of mine works on someone elses farm (large dairy and crop) and he does his own farming as well on his 40 acres, but he does have an associates degree at a vo tech college in diesel mechanics, and he is basically in charge on working on all the farm equipment on the dairy farm.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #2  
You just answered your own question in your last paragraph. Any education is better than no education. Be thankful he wants to do something that may lead to a productive and fulfilling life. Be supportive and don’t try to force your career path choices on him.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #3  
Seems that the only jobs for that degree is a government or consultant job in big agri.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #4  
As someone with a BS in Agriculture, from Western Ky University, in Agriculture Ed, specializing in Equine science I would say the future is solid. Some aspects of agriculture careers are shaky but Agronomy, Horticulture, and Ag Tech, and Ag Ed are strong. On the downside as the Agriculture based companies get larger the need to relocate is a given. A college degree does not replace a work ethic, a sharp mind and experience but it compliments it. It shows an employer that you can be taught or trained and you can set a goal for yourself and reach it.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #5  
As long as people continue to eat there will be agriculture and there will be a need for expertise either on the farm or in the industry. Also, with so many youth favoring the tech side, there could be a future shortage of people in ag. Shortage = demand = reward!

/ Agriculture as a college major?
You just answered your own question in your last paragraph. Any education is better than no education. Be thankful he wants to do something that may lead to a productive and fulfilling life. Be supportive and don’t try to force your career path choices on him.

We will be supportive, just trying to understand the potential career paths with this degree (which I know nothing about). We don't mind paying or helping to pay for college as long as it's money well invested (meaning he actually wants to do it and is willing to put in the time to do it).

Let's just say if he said he wanted to go to college "to find himself", he would probably be footing the bill all by himself. The same goes for good grades now and in high school, and he knows what's expected.

/ Agriculture as a college major?
As someone with a BS in Agriculture, from Western Ky University, in Agriculture Ed, specializing in Equine science I would say the future is solid. Some aspects of agriculture careers are shaky but Agronomy, Horticulture, and Ag Tech, and Ag Ed are strong. On the downside as the Agriculture based companies get larger the need to relocate is a given. A college degree does not replace a work ethic, a sharp mind and experience but it compliments it. It shows an employer that you can be taught or trained and you can set a goal for yourself and reach it.

Thank you for that info.

Honestly, I hope both of them go out and travel the world and relocate somewhere else.

Because I was single and willing to relocate on a moments notice, it definately helped my own career path to get where I'm at today. Keep telling them don't even think about getting married until your at least 30 LOL

/ Agriculture as a college major? #8  
Make no mistake- farming is a science! The field is near limitless. Ag Business, Ag science, Ag Mechanics etc. Seeds, production, machinery, personnel, marketing, packaging etc. Everybody needs food....it’s quite an industry.
Heck your kid may end up inventing a seed that uses less water, or a machine that will harvest in less time or does a better job.
I have lived next to one of the higher rated “Ag” schools in the nation. I routinely visit and am always amazed at that they have added and what they are working on.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #9  
I've got two brothers that have a BS in Agriculture, both retired now. One went to work for USDA, loved the work but had several relocations throughout his career. One worked for a fertilizer company, made big bucks, loved the work and never had to relocate. Since he's retired, he does contract work, at home, online for the same company. As a contractor with them, he's really getting big bucks.

/ Agriculture as a college major? #10  
There's a lot more to agriculture than farming.

See Undergraduate Programs | College of Agriculture and Life Sciences | NC State University for a listing of the undergraduate majors in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NCSU. My grandniece started at NCSU last fall as an Animal Science major with plans of going on to veterinary school.

Most (all?) ag. colleges host open houses for prospective students at various times during the year. My grandniece attended ones at the University of Kentucky, Virginia Tech, and NCSU. It's not too soon for your son and you to attend one of those open houses if he is interested in agriculture.

I spent nearly 30 years as an undergraduate adviser for agricultural economics majors at Clemson University. Most of our majors did not come from farms.
I'm guessing that less than 20% of our graduates returned to their family farms and a handful were hired as farm managers. Those family farms were usually large-scale operations.

Other ag. economics graduates were employed by agribusiness firms (e.g., chemical companies, farm credit, commodity marketing, etc.), non-agribusiness firms, or government agencies (e.g., USDA).

Still others went on to graduate school (e.g., agricultural economics, economics, MBA, finance, law, etc.).

Steve

Last edited: