Tires AG Tires

/ AG Tires #1  

threeman

Silver Member
Do AG tires such as tires on a 65hp MFWD tractor tear up the ground when turning more so than 2wd tractor with ribbed ag tires?

/ AG Tires #2  
An ag tire on the front of the tractor that is free wheeling shouldn't be too bad on grass... if 4wd is active.. I'd imagine a sharp turn to print..

I'd guess that an agg in dirt or soft ground, again, freewheeling, will actually print less than a narrow tri-rib on a 2wd.. due to better ground contact. A wide tri-rib may print the least of all..

Soundguy

/ AG Tires #3  
I have all 3: 62HP MFWD, 59HP 2wd with 11L 15's, and a JD A NF with ribbed. The MFWD will print vertically freewheel, tear up in MFWD due too weight, 2wd is fat wide tires no damage, JD A ribbed will tear up if sharp turns are involved. The 2wd tend to slide the front tires on uphill slopes, etc.

In Winter with snow & ice and 2wd I leave a buffer zone around garage doors steps etc because steering is not positive. With MFWD since I can position positively no buffer & shovel is needed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ AG Tires #4  
I have a Branson 2910 with Ag tires. In 4wd, the front will tear up and "push" a little, but in 2wd, it is not much of a problem. If I turn too sharp, the rear will tear up a little too. I mow the whole property, incl. around the house, and unless the ground is wet, the tires aren't that bad. I don't have the weight your machine does either though.

/ AG Tires #5  
Another problem with AG style bar tires is thet even if they don't visibly tear up the turf, I think they may cause more compaction for the same weight machine. The ground pressure is concentrated on the bars. Additionally, the alternating pattern of pressure and no pressure tends to "work" the soil into a higher density. Just think of how the compactors they use for road construction work - lots of lumps.

I have bar style tires on the front of my little JD 4100 (about 2000 lbs in mowing configuration). I put them on back when building the house before I had grass and havn't bothered to take them off yet.

Even though there is no visible damage, if I get off and look close, there are areas where the bar pattern has been pressed into the underlying soil. The pattern doesn't show through to the top cut surface of the grass, but I know its compacting the soil more.

So, I plan to put something a lot more turf-friendly on as soon as I can get around to it.

- Rick

/ AG Tires #6  
Over the years, I've bought and sold literally hundreds of tractors. Some with AG tires (most with AG tires in fact) some with bar type, and a few with turf tires.

My opinion....? There is no "hard and fast" generalization of which tractor/tire combo/application does the best/worst in all given areas.

Explanation....

Some BRANDS of tractors have better DESIGN MFWD systems. With-in the BRAND, certain MODELS are better than others. With-in the MODEL, certain makes of tires will do better/worse.

My experience with MFWD isn't limited to, but is based mostly on my use of a BIG John Deere (4955, 205 HP, MFWD, 21,000lb AG tractor) It has what Deere marketed at the time, a "positive caster" MFWD system. It leaves very little track (with front wheels), even with it's extreme weight. (18.4R X30 fronts)

In general, AG tires do more "damage" as they are more aggressive tread. They are INTENDED to dig more. Radials, and certain brands do LESS "damage" with equal (or in some cases, greater) traction.

Industrial (bar-type) tread does only slightly less "damage"than AG tires in most cases. Their purpose is to provide good traction, but with some slight sacrifice of mud/loose dirt traction, in favor of better wear on hard surfaces, or when extreme abuse is expected. (i.e., with a loader, causing wheel spin....)

The ultimate "non-damaging" tire would of course be, the TURF TIRE.... Talk about sacrificing traction for lessening "damage" to turf..... They are all about a light footprint.

Back to the issue of MFWD, tire damage, and there comparison to 2WD....

I'd say it depends on what the conditions dictate. A MFWD, in 2WD, with AG tires will leave slightly more "marking" than a typical 2WD in MOST cases. BUT..... When you're in a situation where the 4WD is NEEDED, that same MFWD, and it's better traction control might actually LESSEN the "damage" done by the front wheels.

One other "factor" to include is the HUMAN FACTOR.... I use mostly 2WD tractors in hay work. I can turn a tractor with-out scarring the hayfield 99% of the time. My 26 year old (hot rod) son plows up sod on about every turn WITH THE SAME TRACTORS.... Go figure....

Finally, soil conditions will have a significant effect on the story too. Wet, slick, or hilly ground won't react the same as a dry, flat piece of turf.

OK... Did I successfully dodge giving an answer, all the while talking in circles? I'm ready to run for public office if the answer is yes....

/ AG Tires
Indy do you use the front brakes while turning your tractors in the hay field? What about using brakes while using a MFWD tractor even in two wheel drive?

/ AG Tires #8  
None of my tractors have FRONT brakes. I GENTLY ride the rear steering brake on the 2WD tractors when turning at any speed. Just enough to aid in turning, but not enough to skid one wheel.

The 4955 is so heavy, you don't need much "assistance" when turning it. PLUS... The implements I use with it are generally wide enough that you don't need to make abrupt, sharp turns.

Like most anything, turning brakes need a light toch most of the time. My son tends to "flat-foot" the brakes, skidding one wheel through the corner. He'll grow out of it some day.....I hope.....

/ AG Tires
Just checking to see if I drive the way others do. I use the steer brake as well just enough to lift some weight off of the outside front tire. Seems to work on 2wd tractors. I have no clue about 5o to 60 hp MFWD tractors. I am interested in buying one.

/ AG Tires #10  
Why do the industrial (bar type) usually cost more? (They did at Kubota anyway).