Ag sprayers... I need some education

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #21  
There is certainly a new thought rolling around in my mind. I had never considered UTV spraying, given I have a tractor and no UTV. However, I'd like to purchase one for the farm, and the thought of being able to get in the field sooner/when needed, rather than when everything dries out enough to get the tractor in, is alluring.

How would your UTV work with an Enduraplas, spraying 20" alfalfa? I'm guessing that is about the tallest thing I'd be spraying.

A smaller tank for my property certainly has its appeal in some instances. A larger tank in others. But, if I can spray alfalfa/orchard mix with a pesticide when it is needed, I might have to rethink everything. I'm always ready for a purchase which makes sense... unfortunately, the bankers are always asking for their part every month.

Also, does your UTV have an enclosed cab? Sitting 6ft in front of my booms AT BOOM LEVEL, with a little tail breeze does not make me feel warm and fuzzy.. or perhaps it would begin to, which would be the problem.

And finally, how easy/difficult is it to change boom height? The videos seem to have a solid mount.

I have the kubota rtv x1100c. It has a climate controlled cab and is very tight (need to open a window a bit to close the door easily). There are several mounting holes you can choose for boom height. I have a 330 gallon water tank and 1 gas powered pump so I can quickly refill and get back to spraying. The rtv rides great, plenty of power and can be used for other projects too. The enduraplas has fork lift pockets so it痴 a quick project to remove it from the buggy.

Here痴 some pics. Going spraying again tomorrow. Really like the electronic valves for the cab. Gps is almost a must to reduce overspray and ensure complete coverage without having to rely on dye or guessing.

Brett

Attachments

• 626730F8-7442-45F6-81DE-8678A6CD61CC.jpeg
    626730F8-7442-45F6-81DE-8678A6CD61CC.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2356F845-DE16-43A6-871F-E36E4A7ACBA7.jpeg
    2356F845-DE16-43A6-871F-E36E4A7ACBA7.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 182
  • C9A1CEFE-1AA6-4D77-B727-866F9C3E3C58.jpeg
    C9A1CEFE-1AA6-4D77-B727-866F9C3E3C58.jpeg
    886.5 KB · Views: 175
  • EAB4AF7D-8F35-4EF7-83BA-0FE5EE1D715F.jpeg
    EAB4AF7D-8F35-4EF7-83BA-0FE5EE1D715F.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 174
  • EA191C78-1173-46F5-8C2C-AC13FBBE63E3.jpeg
    EA191C78-1173-46F5-8C2C-AC13FBBE63E3.jpeg
    707.7 KB · Views: 185
  • CC9C68EA-BE19-44E9-9E15-1C836954C55B.jpeg
    CC9C68EA-BE19-44E9-9E15-1C836954C55B.jpeg
    746.9 KB · Views: 190
   / Ag sprayers... I need some education #22  
The rtv cab will protect you from mist. Nothing for what you breathe.

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #23  
I have an old filed sprayer, (nothing like the monster units they use today)I needed to spray 262 acers this spring, I dug it out of the equipment row, and started to rebuild it, the tank had holes in from hail, so I used a 275 gallon chemical tote, for the tank, I have a turbo 90 pump, and have it mount on the trailer and ran by a pto shaft, I have a water fill valve, and a 2" Banjo cam connector, and have a pressure regulator and the by pass goes to the top of the tank and works for an atagatar as well,

I replaced the old booms years ago and went with a boomless broadcast sprayer, (no it is not perfect), but for IMO 90% of the spraying it is fine, and can be set to spray right or left, the nozzle is about $180 by teel jet, I am a big spender and used 6" garden hoses to hook up between nozzle and pressure regulator, and also to the bypass to the top of tank inlet for the bypass, TeeJet / Spraying Systems BoomJet® Boomless Off Center Nozzle, Brass:: 3/4" FPT, 20 Orifice - Dultmeier Sales

I use the pto to turn it on and off, very basic and simple, and low cost, I did have to reseal my turbo 90 pump, Delavan Turbo 9-Turbine Pump and put new bearings in it, but it is 25 years old, (the turbo 90 pump is a 1000 rpm pump and will not work on 540, (my pto is 540 and I have a step up gearing (factory), do not think it is offered any more), but then 35 years ago 1000 prm pto was not a normal thing, the turbo 90 is not a roller pump but a turbin, pump, can put 90 gallons a min, but not positive displacment, and there is a drain on the bottom of the pump I put in a small valve to drain it,

used the sprayer for many years for corn, and then it sat for nearly 20 years and I used it again this year,

it came with a boom for 8 rows, 20 feet, it was more or less junk, unless you need super precision or to spray between rows, I go boom less, IMO,

my two cents,

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #24  
I bought a fiberglass 100 gallon unit on a trailer (tired, framed thing with a drawbar) years ago from a retiring farmer. He had it setup high for rowcrop spraying so I chopped it down (old rusted, 6 coats of paint worn off....ugh what a mess) to ground level.

I never had luck with booms as my place is highly irregular and all fenced so I used the brass single nozzle that runs at a low 30 psi or less and shoots about 25' per side; cap can be flipped over to spray on one side only like when you are running around your pond or along a fence line sort of thing. Parts are easy to get. PTO pump came with it, leaks a little but not enough to worry about it, filters and all are at TSC. Real cheap, reliable spray rig.

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education
I purchased a used 3pt hitch boom version.

240gal
45’ booms
Foamer, which worked initially but I think the compressor sprung a leak as it isn’t working now, although the pump is running. (I’m thinking about removing it in favor of A rinse tank and potentially GPS down the road.)
PTO centrifugal pump (Hypro)
Wet boom... although I’d like to change it to dry if I ever get around to it. I don’t know that it would make sense for my purposes though.
Single nozzles on 20” centers
Teejet 744A 3 section controller.

Hopefully I can get it tuned up and working well for my purposes.

I appreciate all your help along the way.

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #26  
I posted this as a new thread in the Haying forum but it didn't get too much traction.

This thread seems to have some knowledgeable folks so I wanted to see what yall thought.
I figured this would be the right place to ask. Last time I looked this up they mentioned putting a tarp on the ground and measuring the liquid off it so needless to say I just went with trial and error.

Since I'm starting anew I found what looks like a rational way to calibrate the sprayer. The meat of the video starts at the 3 minute mark.

Also, I wrote up a list based on the video to make it easier for those with limited bandwidth. The list is my instruction guide so it has info specific for my application.

What do you folks think?
Large tape measure
2 - 5 gal. buckets
3 stakes
2 flags
hammer
large measuring cup

1. Measure spray width and set flags.

2. Measure width =

3. Multiply width by .80 This is the effective spray width=

4. See Chart, use effective spray width to find travel feet. =

5. Measure travel feet and set flags.

6. Time tractor in travel feet at PTO speed and proper gear and record seconds=

7. Capture each nozzles output (independently) for the time to travel sum in seconds. Add both outputs in pints and multiply by 8 to determine gallons of water per acre.

16 ounces is a pint
8 pints is a gallon
128 ounces to a gallon

**********Chart*************

Spray Width Travel Feet
20 273
22.5 243
25 218
27.5 199
30 182
32.5 168
35 156
37.5 146
40 137

**********Chemical Quantity*************

Grazon Next HL 1.6 Pints per acre (Need 4 Gallons)
Pasturegard 10 Ounces per Acre (Need 200 Ounces or 12.5 Pints or 1.562 Gallons)
LI Surfactant 1 to 2 quarts per 100 gallons as per Grazon Label

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #27  
I posted this as a new thread in the Haying forum but it didn't get too much traction.

This thread seems to have some knowledgeable folks so I wanted to see what yall thought.

He looks really cool. In general, I'm all for the fact that everyone would always be trained. Education is exactly what every person needs. I used top writers in college in the past, used https://edubirdie.com/top-writers for that. But over time, everything has changed. I rethought everything and realized that it is better to do everything yourself. The kind of stuff I used was only needed in college.
thanks

Last edited:
   / Ag sprayers... I need some education #28  
Growing up, I think we hired a sprayer once... perhaps we borrowed one, but otherwise, we had a pump handheld which we used for problem areas or specific issues.

Now, I find that I have a need for an Ag sprayer. I've had several times, over the last year, in which I hired out the duty. The last time, I had to wait a week for it to be completed, given other commitments. While it is nice to simply make a phone call and the problem is solved, it isn't so nice on my bank account.

I'm surprised at how little information I have been able to find on the purchase of an Ag Sprayer. How to size, differences in types, pumps, nozzles, tow vs 3pt, cleaning/flushing (this is a big concern for me), etc etc. It has been hard for me to find the information I need. Its almost like it is a secret... either that or it is so simple, no one feels a need to put it on the internet. And given all the crap on the internet, I doubt that is the case.

So... my needs...

84ac. at least 40 of which will be permanent pasture. I've been thinking about putting about 30 into hay/alfalfa. And I have waterways, roads, and whatnot with other 'sprayer needs'.

Tractor is JD 5100e with cab. 2 remotes on back.

I'd like something which will do what I need on these areas. Something which can spray the entire 30ac with whatever I am wanting to use, in a single run. Basically, unless it isn't feasible, I'd rather not have to constantly refill in order to do the main pastures. But in the same vein, it is unlikely I will ever need more than 40ac worth of 'anything sprayed' all at once given differences in paddocks and fields.

I don't know enough to even ask good questions, but some that I still haven't found answers are:

- I've seen sprayers with more than one tank. A large water tank, and smaller tank as well. What is the smaller tank used for?
- I would like a sprayer which can be used for herbicide, pesticides, but also fertilizer. (although I have never applied liquid fertilizer and don't know anything about the ins and outs compared to other means. This is another area of which I have had limited luck in finding information.)
- What are the ins and outs of purchasing a USED sprayer? What things are common problems and what should I look for if I go this route?
- Are there brands which have a better value than others? What are they?
- Are there brands which tend to hold up better (as a used sprayer) that you would recommend keeping an eye out for? Brands or specific equipment/parts to stay away from on used/new sprayers?
- Are hydraulic booms worth it? What about hydraulically raising and lowering the entire boom apparatus to keep it close to the target?
- I've read about lots of types of pumps... but have yet to hear anything 'definitive' that some type is the way to go.
- 3pt or tow for my needs?

I am sure there is a lot of information that is important that I don't know enough about to ask... so any help in this endeavor would be greatly appreciated.
Cancer ain't too good on the bank account either. If you do fool with it, be careful. I'm not Mr Safety at all, I just don't do chemicals.

/ Ag sprayers... I need some education #29  
Try Paul B Hardware for sprayers.

I had a big Demco

1675126918514.jpeg

and then a Hardy.

1675126953839.jpeg

I hated every minute of spraying & chemicals. I haven’t touched them in 5 + years.

Last edited:
   / Ag sprayers... I need some education #30  
Newton Crouch out of Georgia makes a fine spray rig, most all of us in this area use them, most common is a pull type with a 500 gallon tank, t-jet nozzles that with a simple twist you can go from spraying pesticide/herbicide to liquid nitrogen and last but not least a john blue pump and PTO pump for tank agitation.