ag battery

/ ag battery #1  

big bubba

Elite Member
Tractor
M8540
K factory battery lasted 12 yrs. & replaced this spring. the replacement has 2 removable wet cell inspection covers, factory original was closed cell
have noticed weeping overrun on battery tray now w/rust, etc.
given severe operating conditions w/heat & vibration, are closed cell batteries the ag standard? i don't intend to keep rinsing the supporting battery tray
thx in advance i'll prob replace accordingly soon....does TSC have the HD closed cell tractor batteries?

/ ag battery
Lead acid batteries are all vented. Every one. Cap styles vary.
thank you. only 1 of the 2 inspection covers is slightly gurgling after use. i'm talking minimal but enough to rust, etc
so it's vent may be restricted, or is this normal after all that activity of that type battery?
i don't like the acid weep

/ ag battery #4  
Is the cell that is gurgling over filled?
I'm curious, you mention 2 inspection covers. That means that 3 cells are covered by one inspection cover. Do you check the battery fluid in each cell periodically? If all the cells are maintained and only 1 is gurgling, you may have a defective cell. If all cells are gurgling then you're overcharging the battery.

/ ag battery
Is the cell that is gurgling over filled?
I'm curious, you mention 2 inspection covers. That means that 3 cells are covered by one inspection cover. Do you check the battery fluid in each cell periodically? If all the cells are maintained and only 1 is gurgling, you may have a defective cell. If all cells are gurgling then you're overcharging the battery.
thank you for that. am starting to think the same. it's basically new, so i'll check level & remove some if needed.
good point. in theory, after that no seepage.
from now on, will replace only w/closed deck thanks again

/ ag battery #6  
Get AGM battery instead of "flooded cell" battery......

/ ag battery #7  
AGM batteries can be used and stored on their sides without any leaks and they're maintenance free unless you want to keep it on a battery tender to keep it's charge status up.

/ ag battery #8  
AGM all day every day.

The vent hose needs to be installed on the battery venting below the tray to prevent the acid from eating the steel.

/ ag battery #9  
K factory battery lasted 12 yrs. & replaced this spring. the replacement has 2 removable wet cell inspection covers, factory original was closed cell
have noticed weeping overrun on battery tray now w/rust, etc.
given severe operating conditions w/heat & vibration, are closed cell batteries the ag standard? i don't intend to keep rinsing the supporting battery tray
thx in advance i'll prob replace accordingly soon....does TSC have the HD closed cell tractor batteries?
What group size is it?

Just find the group size on it, then go get an AGM battery.

Machines that vibrate a lot, motorcycles (especially dirt bikes), big diesel trucks/tractors, and boats, since they get bounced around a lot, and many other machines really need an AGM battery.

You probably have a full-size battery on it anyway, so finding an AGM battery shouldn't be any problem at all. I just bought 2 for my Diesel P/U at Advance Auto.

/ ag battery #10  
Yeah, throw away a two or three month old battery that probably cost $100 bucks or more. Easy advise to give. Not something I'm about to do or suggest.