Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ?

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone ever found an aftermarket source for the inner tie rod boots? Probably the same as several other kubota models but its on a MX5100

OEM # is 35080-44680

In the ~1-1/2 years I have had the tractor, I have probably torn and replaced 5. They are a thin rubber and in an exposed area. And no way to further protect without interfering with turning.

~20 bucks a pop and kubota dealer is only place I have found anything. Would be nice to find something like a $5 napa boot that will work. Or better yet....a tougher urethane boot from some source.

Anyone else have issues with these. Same boot is listed for most of the Mxx40 tractors...GLxx40 tractors, alot of older Lxx50 tractors. 140 models according to messicks website. Though I dont know if they are better protected.

Wondering if I'd be better off to just forget the boots, and replace the whole joint when the need arises. So far I have spend ~$100 in boots to protect $120ea joints. And no end in sight.

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #2  
Anyone ever found an aftermarket source for the inner tie rod boots? Probably the same as several other kubota models but its on a MX5100

OEM # is 35080-44680

In the ~1-1/2 years I have had the tractor, I have probably torn and replaced 5. They are a thin rubber and in an exposed area. And no way to further protect without interfering with turning.

~20 bucks a pop and kubota dealer is only place I have found anything. Would be nice to find something like a $5 napa boot that will work. Or better yet....a tougher urethane boot from some source.

Anyone else have issues with these. Same boot is listed for most of the Mxx40 tractors...GLxx40 tractors, alot of older Lxx50 tractors. 140 models according to messicks website. Though I dont know if they are better protected.

Wondering if I'd be better off to just forget the boots, and replace the whole joint when the need arises. So far I have spend ~$100 in boots to protect $120ea joints. And no end in sight.

Paul Short (4shorts) was (is?) offering some urethane tie rod boots for Kubotas. Haven't seen him on TBN in a long time but he's quite active on Youtube.

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ?
Saw he had a video on youtube for the BX boots. But they are a different part, and look too small. But they are just like what I would like to find. The inner boot that I am constantly tearing.....has provisions on both ends for snapring keepers. And its more like a bell shaped boot instead of a simple trapezoid shaped boot like all the generic urethane ones I am finding are. And none of the generic ones I was seeing have snapring grooves

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #5  
Try this guy, he may have something to fit. I have ordered poly's for my BX & they shipped fairly fast.

2x Polyboots Track Rod End Dust Boot 12x29x24 mm Polyurethane Ball Joint Boots | eBay

This is the company that is overseas that is doing the ones for the BX, and has the EBAY auction also.

Ball Joint Boot and Tie Rod End Boot from Polyboots

the FEDEX shipping not cheap but he has the fixed price EBAY auctions that are cheaper shipping but take a couple weeks to get here. Go through their website to see if they have something that works. They are more durable looking then the rubber ones.

David

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #6  
I run with torn boots :-0 A shot of grease or two once in a while to try to keep most water and gunk out of the joint. If they rust enough to start squeaking or start to slop around, I'll replace the joint. The joint wear surface appears to be stainless or hard-chromed, so little if any rust. So far (about 5 years) they are still fine.

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #7  
Subscribed.

I've got a torn boot myself. Finding a better than OEM replacement might actually motivate me to fix it.

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #8  
Get a caliper and measure in mm both hole sizes and height and then go here

SEARCH BY SIZE

and look up by size.

Just noticed that my L3130 uses the same part number, will see if I can get measurment

David

Last edited:
   / Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ?
17mm x 43mm is what the sealing surface on the ball joint measures.

Didnt measure the distance between them though.

Nothing at either of the above linked websites.

The ebay guy has some 17x39's......but dont know if 39mm will stretch over a 43mm part......rubber.....probably. Poly....prolly not

Closest at polyboots.com is 16x38

/ Aftermarket source for Tie rod Boot MX5100 ? #10