Aftermarket back up cameras

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Anyone have any experience with these? My wifes 2010 Explorer does not have one and she decided in her old age she needs one. I went on line and I see there are a ton out there.

As always, nothing like someone else's experience.

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #2  
I share your interest. Not only would it be nice to have one for hooking up a trailer, but if it had a magnetic camera pickup mount, I could stick it on the FEL of my Kioti DK45 so I could see what the gizmos out front are actually doing (like positioning the tip of my hydraulic auger!).
BOB

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #3  
For a perminate mount, Pro Vision, is what we install on our fleet vehicals. They have the ability to add aditional cameras, three total. These work great at night also.

I have seen portable units, with magnetic cameras, for trailer hook up. Midwest Wheel sells them.

Dave

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #4  
Does her radio have a place to display the image, or would she need a display as well? If she needs a display, I might look into a new radio with Bluetooth, GPS and video in it. Cleaner than a extra display that you have to find a place to put...

Aaron Z

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #5  
I have one I bought at Sam's several years ago. Has a big 7" screen, I mounted on my visor, just flip the visor down and there it is. Mine has a wireless camera powered by a lead from the reverse light, transmitter is tucked behind the tail light. The screen is powered by a lighter plug, I just ran another wire to the top of the windsheild so there are no wires dangling. Putting one in the dash/radio would be good also. It is a wonderful device to hook up trailers, saves enough time to pay for one quick. The safety factor is also a biggie. I mounted some fog lights as reverse lights so I can see with the camera very well at night also. I would not be with out one on my truck.
Only issue I have ever had is some security systems will be picked up on my screen. Interesting at times:confused2:

Last edited:
   / Aftermarket back up cameras #6  
I bought one at Advance Auto for about $69. It works good for the price, and is a SNAP to install. The camera attaches to the license plate using two of the screws that hold your license tag in place. The cable from the camera runs to a little transmitter box that you mount under the vehicles body, somewhere not too far from the camera. There's one wire that will run from the transmitter to a 12VDC power connection, you can run it all the way to the engine compartment and pick up 12V there. The video screen is 4.3" I believe, kind of small but usable. It has a 12VDC cord that plugs into your accessory lighter, or you can wire it in more permanently if you wanted too. The screen has a suction mount to attach to the windshield, and that's all there is too it.

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #7  
google
back up cameras site:tractorbynet.com

Backup Camera to hook up trailer - Compact Tractors
www.tractorbynet.com/.../184538-backup-camera-hook-up-trailer.html‎
Oct 1, 2010 - 60 posts - 9 authors
I want to get a camera to help in backing up to hook up the trailer. I've seen the license plate style. They look pretty simple. But - like anything,
Nice Backup Camera - Compact Tractors
TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum
Aug 10, 2008 - 14 posts - 4 authors
I've been looking for a backup camera, found something that's more money than the walmart cameras but has some nicer features: Swift Hitch ...
Best value back-up camera? - Compact Tractors
TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum
Mar 10, 2012 - 25 posts - 7 authors
I have a 2009 Silverado 2500HD extended cab truck that I recently added a camper shell. The windows are tinted which prevents me from ...

/ Aftermarket back up cameras
Guys-thx for responses. Vehicle does have the big screen in the dash but I don't think I have the brains to try to access that.

/ Aftermarket back up cameras #10  
Guys-thx for responses. Vehicle does have the big screen in the dash but I don't think I have the brains to try to access that.
Not cheap, but for $290 these people claim to be able to display the backup camera video on a hard drive based sync radio: FORD LOCKPICKS
Probably similar in price to an aftermarket head unit with video display and would let you use any aftermarket camera you wanted on the back...
See also: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360362

Aaron Z