AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I've always wondered why there are so few aftermarket accessories for tractors. There seems to be a good selection of universal mount implements - especially the ones with standard 3pt or loader mountings. But there isn't much offered for the tractors themselves.

Here's where I start to wonder why...after all, aftermarket accessories are a proven money maker. And even more so when they are associated with a popular brand.

Like a lot of us, my background is in motorcycles, sports cars, SUVs, and boats. There's a huge amount of aftermarket stuff along with a lot of brand loyalty in those markets....particularly for boats. But it's surprisingly lacking for tractors. JD supports a little bit of the accessory market right at the dealer level - apparently it's profitable for them. But the rest of the tractor industry doesn't provide much in the way of accessories for owners of their brand of machine.

Equipment wise, there's not a tractor out there that couldn't use some more choices on exhaust pipe location and a decent sized tool box. Plus maybe a windshield, and surely more choices for tractor and seat covers. I know our Kubota M59 could use all those things right now....today.
It would be a better machine - and more popular - for having those four things, and none of it difficult to design or make.

There's just a host of similar "convenience & comfort pieces" that could be added on to every tractor. Not to mention a jacket, drinks mug, and a model of the same tractor for the kids. The manufacturers don't seem interested. When I wanted a spinner for the steering wheel the tractor dealer sent me to the truck stop down the road.

We've had a lot of tractors over the last 50 years and I've always wondered why the tractor industry was so unlike the other industries for accessories. Anyone else wonder why?
just musing.....,
rScotty

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #2  
I think it's because tractor owners in general are a do it your self type and less likely to open there wallet for anything that they can make them selves. My self included. That being said I do think branded hats shirts mugs and so forth are cool.

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #3  
Perhaps it is somehow linked to the idea that tractors were necessities for the business of running the business and nothing more. We budgeted for one, justifying it on the basis of it is needed for what I do. Under that umbrella I get the nicest one available that suits the purpose and then add a bit of fancy by upping the horse power, the color I want etc. No one is the wiser ( except no one is kidding anyone, we just don't expose the lie too much because we all have our own things we don't want to get busted about.)

With that being the case it just would not look right spending a bunch of money on chrome dodads, blinkyies and such. But that is changing with us. Tractors are my recreational toys sorts who make no bones about it. Themarket perhaps will open up as we come out of the closet.

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #4  
Perhaps it is somehow linked to the idea that tractors were necessities for the business of running the business and nothing more. We budgeted for one, justifying it on the basis of it is needed for what I do.

While this was probably true not too long ago, I think with the larger number of people who are moving out to acreages and small farms, that the tractor has become more than just a tool.

In the same light as a motorcycle is a means of transportation that has become something else. I've only changed windscreens on my Bandit to reduce buffeting, but Google Bandit accessories and you'll find hundreds of items (just check out accessories for H-D!).

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #5  
I think that the higher end tractors do have a lot more accessories than the smaller units mostly because the operator is going to spend 10+ hours per day in one. I also think that there are so many more makes and models of tractors that trying to find a niche in the accessory market would be a custom operation at best. Then when the brand changes something small after a year or two, all that design work that went into something just went out the window. I really think that If I saw a really good idea for an accessory that I'd fire up the welder and grinder and make my own versus paying for something professionally done unless I was worried about reliability.

That wasn't a ramble or anything! :D

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #6  
While I've welded, modified, and created a lot things, I've spent a lot of time searching for the things I can't make. Only to come up empty. When I do find something, it's so universal in nature, that it really doesn't fit anything. Sure would be nice if there was more available.

While I worked in a plastics forming plant for years, I don't have a thermoformer in my back yard, nor have all the wood working tools to make the sample mold anyway. Can't lay up fiberglass, nor am I any good at painting. Having a welder, chop saw, and some wrenches is a far cry from being able to fab most things. While I have seen some very talented people build things on various forums, I'd wager most people can't piece fancy stuff together.

I'm currently working on a small blade with capabilities I could only find on much larger ones than I need. I did, eventually, stumble across what I needed, but unfortunately, I have too much invested in building to just stop and buy one. A purchased blade would look nicer, probably work better, and cost less. Steel in small quantities is EXPENSIVE! For instance, on a slightly different topic, I needed a small portable building for some storage. After much looking, I found I could buy one, already built, delivered, for LESS than the cost of materials to build my own of the exact same materials, dimensions and style.

It's not for chrome, looky at me, things either, it's for a better seat, quieter, etc. Who can weld up a seat? Yes, there are a lot of seats out there, but my tractor has some stupid, angled, seat mounting that won't accommodate a universal seat. Some day, I will cobble on that suspension seat, and when it's on there, it'll look like it was cobbled on rather than like it belongs there. Things more to do with added comfort, capability or performance.

So as to why, I can't say, just wish there was!!!!

/ AfterMarket Accessories for Tractors #7  
While I've welded, modified, and created a lot things, I've spent a lot of time searching for the things I can't make. Only to come up empty. When I do find something, it's so universal in nature, that it really doesn't fit anything. Sure would be nice if there was more available.

While I worked in a plastics forming plant for years, I don't have a thermoformer in my back yard, nor have all the wood working tools to make the sample mold anyway. Can't lay up fiberglass, nor am I any good at painting. Having a welder, chop saw, and some wrenches is a far cry from being able to fab most things. While I have seen some very talented people build things on various forums, I'd wager most people can't piece fancy stuff together.

I'm currently working on a small blade with capabilities I could only find on much larger ones than I need. I did, eventually, stumble across what I needed, but unfortunately, I have too much invested in building to just stop and buy one. A purchased blade would look nicer, probably work better, and cost less. Steel in small quantities is EXPENSIVE! For instance, on a slightly different topic, I needed a small portable building for some storage. After much looking, I found I could buy one, already built, delivered, for LESS than the cost of materials to build my own of the exact same materials, dimensions and style.

It's not for chrome, looky at me, things either, it's for a better seat, quieter, etc. Who can weld up a seat? Yes, there are a lot of seats out there, but my tractor has some stupid, angled, seat mounting that won't accommodate a universal seat. Some day, I will cobble on that suspension seat, and when it's on there, it'll look like it was cobbled on rather than like it belongs there. Things more to do with added comfort, capability or performance.

So as to why, I can't say, just wish there was!!!!