aerator

/ aerator #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have been thinking about building a aerator. Anybody have any ideas?

ducky

/ aerator #2  
Carver has them on SALE right now.
But if like me might as well go ahead and build one.
The frame and axle set-up is easy to build, only difficult part
will be attaching spoons to wheels unless u weld them on and
cut off to replace when broke.
The spoons look like 1/2" rigid conduit

/ aerator
We have a cheap made one that has spoons. Already broke one off. I dont know what the advantage would be between as plug aerator of just find some rotary hoe wheels and just poke holes in the ground.

/ aerator #4  
The spoons are the weak point. They can't take side thrust without being damaged. I learned the hard way that once they're bent, you just can't bend them to straighten them. If they don't snap immediately they won't last long.

The idea of the spoon is to extract a plug of soil without compacting the soil. So if you're thinking about aerating to get oxygen into the soil, you need to avoid compaction. That means a solid rod is going to compact the soil and compromise the effort.

/ aerator #5  
As Darren reported, I think the current beliefs on aeration is that spike aeration may do more harm than good. Core aeration is best to properly oxygenate the roots of the turf.

/ aerator #6  
Ducky, see if you can purchase the spoons from your dealer or maybe First Choice. They bolt on to a "hub". see attached link. I'd make them replaceable.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.midwestequipment.net/aerators/series_20_aerator_specs.htm>Midwest Aerator</A>

/ aerator
hazmat that is a good looking aerator. Been looking at first choice products and I am really impressed with the looks. I may just go with something like that and work on a 3 point fishing pole holder or something.