Aerator for rocks & clay?

/ Aerator for rocks & clay? #1  

BigDave

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC33D
I am looking to purchase an aerator and an over-seeder. This can be a single unit or a separate aerator & seeder. I've done a search of the TBN archives and read better than a hundred posts on the subject, but I haven't seen the answer to the following question.

What type of aerator would be best at surviving impacts with rocks just below the surface? I'm not talking about golfball size rocks, more like watermellons. My soil is clay & the rocks are shale. I have removed the obvious rocks on the surface, but I'm afraid of tearing-up an aerator when it encounters rocks that are one or two inches below the surface. I don't want to start all over with my lawn, so I would like to rule out a power rake. I would also like to rule-out the Home Depot stuff.

I have found various 3pt aerators with spoons, spikes, blades, multiple combinations of each and some even pto driven ranging from $650 to $6500+. They also range from 220 to 1200lbs. Some of the brands are Bannerman, Befco, Bluebird, Brillion, Bush Hog, First Choice, Ferguson, Gandy, Millcreek, Ryan, Turfco, TurfVent & Woods.

Some thing to consider: If a unit has replaceable spoons, are the spoons designed to be the weakest point, or if it hits a rock does the spoon hold strong and I get bearing or frame damage?

Any insight or experience with this subject would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

/ Aerator for rocks & clay? #2  
Bill, if it were me I'd just rent one if you didn't really need it and you just had to have a core areator. I personally like the woods yard or lawn renovator if coring wasn't a preference. If you are in the biz then certainly you'll be looking into buying one for good reason but if you don't absolutely have to then rent.

/ Aerator for rocks & clay? #3  
I have a 72" core aerator of indeterminate brand - used and rusty and beat to sh*&^. The weakest point is definitely the spoons - the frame and spindles are in great shape but worn because the previous owner didnt lube it. I used it for the first time last week and had VERY good results. I did lose three spoons, but they were already cracked when I bought it. I know I hit some watermelon+ sized rocks and it just rode up over them. I kept my speead reasonable - took 6hours to do about 15 acres.

In sum, I think the core type with replaceable spoons would be acceptable if you keep your speed reasonable.

Mark

/ Aerator for rocks & clay? #4  
Dave I suggest a Midwest Aerator replaceable spoons. The spoons do seem to be the "weakest link". The axle, bushings and frame are all very beefy. If you should break something other than the spoons, the construction is very simple, meaning any machine/welding shop could easily repair the unit. Midwest built units were sold under the first choice label. I bought mine from Sweet Farm Equipment. They may have some left overs. Or check with Midwest for dealers in your area. 1/2 - 1/3 the price of a similar landpride or woods unit. Equal quality.

As far as overseeding. I'm sure as you read after doing your search that they are much $$$$$$$. Do you see this as an ongoing need or a one time event? You can rent walk behind overseeders (18" - 2 feet widths).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MD is in the "transitional" zone as far as warm vs. cool season grasses. What kind of grass do you have? Plenty of info on the web regarding recommendations here's one budd seed overseeding

For a "poor man's overseeder". Some have recommended the following procedure

1. aerate
2. Drag with chain harrow or simply old bedspring or chainlink fence.
3. seed with three point spreader.
4. Drag again to ensure seed-soil contact.

This process takes alot longer than a single pass with an overseeder, but if you can convince your wife that you need a $6,000 + machine to overseed your lawn, we will erect a statue in your honor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. If you are doing it commercially (don't think you are) that's another story.

/ Aerator for rocks & clay?
Hazmat,

First-Choice definitely is the front runner, especially after the CFO looks at the numbers, but the Befco is a thing of beauty. The Woods Turf Renvator is also a sharp looking machine, but I can buy several implements for what these beauties cost. I would have to go on the implement of the year plan.

I keep forgetting that I don't live in Texas anymore where overseeding was at least an annual event for my yard. In case you are not familiar - Bermuda for the summer and annual rye grass for the winter while the Bermuda went dormant and brown.

I'm not sure what the builder planted, but it was probably some blend where only one type has survived. I bought some shade tolerant Virtue semi-dwarf tall fescue from Seedland last fall. I planted some of it in the wooded areas that I had cleared. I'm not sure if I will stick with this or go with something different in the sunny areas around the house.

Finally, if go the core aerator route, I will probably need to rent a seeder since a core aerator will make holes that are much to deep for the seed. My fescue is recommended for planting no more than a quarter inch deep.

As far as the statue, don't forget, I did convince the CFO that I needed a $20,000 tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif She actually saw the Befco seeder while we were on vacation. I just had to stop. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hey, I was on vacation too. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Befco

/ Aerator for rocks & clay? #6  
<font color="blue"> Finally, if go the core aerator route, I will probably need to rent a seeder since a core aerator will make holes that are much to deep for the seed. My fescue is recommended for planting no more than a quarter inch deep.
</font>

If you drag a chain harrow, chain link fence, or bed spring accross the lawn after aerating, it will break up the cores & fill in the holes. Then when you seed, it won't be 3" deep. Probably want to wait a couple days for the cores to dry out, they will break up easier.