Buying Advice Advise on Farmall 300 please.

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please. #1  

donb2

Bronze Member
I'm going to look at a 1954 Farmall 300 and would welcome advise on what I should look for, any known problem areas or issues that I should look carefully for.

Input will be much appreciated!

Thanks

don

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please. #2  
IT should run I hope. what are you gouing to use it for?

The brakes often glaze over and the petaal may be firm but it might not stop!
It should have independent PTO and I'd hope the clutch is working well in the unit.
Does the transmission shift ok? Does it have the TA?

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please.
I intend to clean up a couple of acres of overgrown field. I might plant some butternut squash in the summer. Also interested in the "toy" factor.

Thanks for your reply.

Don

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please. #4  
the one we had had a 2 point hitch.we pulled a 3 disk breaker,6 ft bush and bog disc and a light 6 ft disc with it.one thing i liked about it is the lift would power down.we used the lift to push corner posts in the ground when they would get stuck halfway down.now we do it with the loader.plowing at night the exhaust would glow so bright you could see by it.brakes just do not last long maybe we just wore them out.the only thing wrong with it is its 57 years old but i liked it a lot better then the ford we had about the same age and i liked the ford too.

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please. #5  
Is it a 300 or a 300 utility? If it is a 300 row crop, it may not have a fast hitch on the back. If it is a utility it will not likely have power steering which you will need. The non PS steering on the utility is notoriously bad, and in fact, when I sold mine the steering box gear sheared while we were loading the tractor. In this day and age, the toy and antique factor is more important. You won't get a lot of useful work out of one and parts are getting harder to find if you break somthing important.

A 300 row crop with a fast hitch is a big tractor, but could do what you want. However, I would find a nice Ford 3000 diesel instead. If the what you are looking at is a 300 Diesel, stay away. They are collectors items, and the diesel is very expensive to work on. The gassers are fine, but thirsty.

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please. #6  
Is it a 300 or a 300 utility? If it is a 300 row crop, it may not have a fast hitch on the back. If it is a utility it will not likely have power steering which you will need. The non PS steering on the utility is notoriously bad, and in fact, when I sold mine the steering box gear sheared while we were loading the tractor. In this day and age, the toy and antique factor is more important. You won't get a lot of useful work out of one and parts are getting harder to find if you break somthing important.

A 300 row crop with a fast hitch is a big tractor, but could do what you want. However, I would find a nice Ford 3000 diesel instead. If the what you are looking at is a 300 Diesel, stay away. They are collectors items, and the diesel is very expensive to work on. The gassers are fine, but thirsty.

My dad owned the 300 utility with a FEL talk about armstrong steering ... it was a good reliable tractor.

/ Advise on Farmall 300 please.

Thanks for the info!

I passed on it. The rubber was bad and there was a puddle of oil under it. Even I knew that can't be good!

Thanks Again to everyone for sharing your knowledge with me.

regards

Don