Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends #1  

Dakota_male

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2850M Cab/ Takeuchi TB225,TBL;Club cadet RTZ S 46
Do i need to follow any special weld procedure to replace hydraulic cylinder clevis,s?
I have to change the ends on 2 new hydraulic cylinders and rods to match my snow plow . I have to cut off the Larger clevis and weld on bushings on the rod and a smaller clevis for the cylinder, just like a regular plow cylinder. My plow is a 702 new holland being adapted to my MF1635. Frame is completed except for these double acting cylinders are next.
( I think they are forged or cast ends,)
Thanks in advance

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends #2  
Nope, none needed other than making sure the chrome is removed where you're welding. If you're using stick make sure the 7018's are dry. Also make sure to extend the cylinder so you don't burn the seals out when you're welding both on the rod and cylinder end.....Mike

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends
Thanks MrMikey
I have some dry 7018 and will bevel the pieces well as much weld as possible, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, I'll post some pictures before and after incase it is beneficial for anyone else.

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends #4  
I've heard others say that it is a good idea to wrap the exposed rod with a cold wet towel to help avoiding the heat traveling to the seal area.

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends #5  
I pull the rod out, wrap with duct tape to keep the splatter off the cyl. rod then weld it up. I use 7018 and bevel where the weld will be. Usaually 2 to 3 passes, let cool between passes.

Letting it cool between passes I didn't know, did or should you leave a gap between the new end and the rod before welding, because of shrinkage?

I am also wondering if I could use Mig with a hard wire, using a couple of passes, my wleder is a 185 Milermatic, or would the 7018 penetrate better? I only want to do this the once*S*

/ Advise needed on Welding on forge steel hydraulics/ rods ends #8  
You could use the mig, and I have used both but a bit bigger machine (Miller 350P) I prefer the stick....Mike

You could use the mig, and I have used both but a bit bigger machine (Miller 350P) I prefer the stick....Mike

Thanks MrMikey, I did listen to you and glad I did, the penetration is much better using the rod, I even put the 7018 in the toaster oven to make sure they were dry. The job turned out good, I will up load my project to my photo folder here and post back here the URL.

One cylinder complete and one to go.
Thanks for all the help.
Curtis

A few pictures of along the way to completed the job. Enjoy

Attachments

• cylinder11.jpg
    cylinder11.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 402
  • cylinder12.jpg
    cylinder12.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 459