Advice to clean & prep old concrete for densifier

/ Advice to clean & prep old concrete for densifier #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
I’m looking for advice on cleaning & preparing old concrete for GHOSTSHIELD 4500 concrete densifier.
Garage is used for auto repair so oils & other fluids have been spilled on floor.
I would also like to seal it with GHOSTSHIELD 8500 sealer at some point to protect from road salts.
Floor is heavily reinforced with rebar & I don’t want corrosion to get to rebar.
I’ve included photo of 3 cleaners I have on hand.
Looking to get this done before the cold weather hits.
Thanks
90cummins

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
  • 90A095AF-CC4A-4613-B2E6-EBF0682B462D.jpeg
    90A095AF-CC4A-4613-B2E6-EBF0682B462D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
   / Advice to clean & prep old concrete for densifier #2  
I don’t know that this is correct or not for what your putting down, but muriatic acid is often used to etch the concrete for a coating. I’d use some of the stuff you have pictures of first to get the worst off.

/ Advice to clean & prep old concrete for densifier #3  
@90cummins - I have no experience with the GHOSTSHIELD 4500 product... but as far as concrete prep goes, part of it is going to depend on how badly the flor is oil saturated & what other contaminates you are dealing with. Also if it is an area you can use a power washer on or not...

GHOSTSHIELD 4500 states the following on the website:
"The concrete substrate must be structurally sound and clean of oil, grease, dirt, wax, curing compounds, efflorescence, paints, previous sealers, adhesives and other contaminants that might interfere with the penetration of the sealer. Power wash, acid etch or mechanically scarify as necessary to achieve the desired surface condition. If acid was used to clean the concrete, neutralize the surface and rinse with water prior to application. Allow for proper dry time before application. The surface-zone moisture content of the concrete should not exceed 4% wt. Do not apply if standing water is visible."

So with that I can make some recommendations but much will depend on your floors condition & what contaminates you are dealing with.

NOTE: *** SAFTEY - SAFTEY - SAFTEY *** when doing any kind of work

General Cleaning:
TSP – (trisodium phosphate) works well for cleaning dirty concrete. It performs ok on oil & grease but there are better alternatives for degreasing. a general rule is use 1/4 cup of TSP to one gallon of warm/hot water for light cleaning or use 1/2 cup of TSP for heavy-duty cleaning.

Degreasing:
For the oil & grease use an alkaline degreaser. Alkaline cleaners work best for breaking down and emulsifying oils & stains in concrete. You want something in the range of 8–14pH (but most degreasers will be between 11-12pH). I would use the PURPLE POWER out of the 3 you have (only because we've used it before). I believe PURPLE POWER is a concentrate so follow the instructions. (Warm water helps, but not hot water.) You can spot clean any remaining oil or grease stains that need it. (If the oil & grease is really bad you may have to use a bioremediation product.)

There is also a torch method we use on oil spots, after it is cleaned, to make sure there is no remaining oils on the surface that might mess with the final product application.

Based on what I could find on the GHOSTSHIELD page not sure you need to acid etch the floor; which will open up the pores of the concrete & is what we do for epoxy coatings. If you do etch with Muriatic Acid, which is not hard to do (Make sure you mix it correctly & Always add the Acid to the Water & never pour the water to the Acid). If you do acid etch you need to Neutralize the concrete floor afterwards.

Again *** SAFTEY - SAFTEY - SAFTEY ***

Questions... let me know, I will try & help

Sorry for the long post...