Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #1  

Anonymous Poster

How often? Recommendations on how to approach? Friend of mine said never... wanted to get some second, third, etc. opinions.

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #2  
EagleEye, there's only one opinion that really counts and that's your opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It depends on what you're cutting and what you want it to look like afterwards. As you know, a "sharp" edge means a thin edge and a thin edge means it can get bent, dented, chipped, etc. more easily; the sharper (thinner) it is, the more it gets dinged. So rotary cutters come new with an edge that's not as sharp as a finish mower because they know most customers are going to cut brush, saplings, etc., and use it on rough ground instead of a manicured lawn cutting just grass. So there's no "schedule" for sharpening the blades. If it's doing the job you want it to do, leave it alone; "never" just might be the right answer. On the other hand, if all you're cutting is grass and weeds and you want a smoother, cleaner cut, you might hone those blades a little sharper than normal.

If you need or want to sharpen the blades, there are several ways to do it; (1) remove the blades and sharpen on a bench grinder, (2) remove the blades, put them in a vise and sharpen with an angle grinder (I really don't think I'd want to tackle the job with a hand file, but it's certainly possible), or (3) sharpen them with an angle grinder without removing them.

Now there's an alternative you might want to consider. I found that new blades are not as expensive as you might expect, so you might want to never sharpen blades; just replace them with new ones.

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #3  
Bird, as usual, has offered sage advice. Sharpen them yourself or buy a new set, probably about $20, and sharpne or use as they come from the factory.

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades
I cut about 1 acre of lawn and I have found that sharpening blades about every 6 - 8 weeks is about right for me. My lawn is free of stones and debris so I rarely get nicks in the blades. If it is a lawn that you mow, you can examine the grass after you cut and look for freyed edges. If the grass blades are freyed it is time to resharpen.

I have two sets of blades (always a sharp set on hand) and I resharpen them on a bench grinder.

John

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #5  
JWE,

Are you using a rotary cutter or a finish mower? You said you were cutting "lawn" so I wondered. I think most folks who use a rotary cutter aren't too concerned with frayed blades of grass where they use it. A finish mower on a lawn is a different story, of course.

I'm using a 60 inch mmm. Doesn't look like we are talking apples to apples.

At least I know what a rotary cutter is now!

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #7  
Yes, I think any MMM would be a finish mower. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rotary cutters are also variously known as rough cut mowers, brush hogs, bush hogs, slashers and probably a couple more names (I know there's at least one more I know but can't bring to mind right now). They are the mowers you might use to cut down an overgrown field taller than you. Depending on the size, most will handle something like 1" saplings and even up to 2" in some cases. I believe John Miller III has one by Brown that he could just about use for clearcutting a forest. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #8  
<font color="blue">...use for clearcutting a forest... </font>

Hi Gary,

Not this one... but that's my next model... I'm eyeing... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(but then I'll need more hp, more torque, more and bigger tractor..! More, more, more... $$$) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bird, thanks for the great advice. I like the idea of getting another new set like you suggested and JWE does. Always keeping another sharpened pair around is a nice idea.

Well, how I use my cutter is poetry in motion... a virtual look at evolution in process (then again, I'm a God fearing man but...that's another story). I live on 22 acres of overgrown farm land (last used for such about 40-50 yrs ago)... As I recover those fields (now up to about 8-10 acres), I'm cutting more field grass vs. brush... I guess I'll keep some relatively dull blades until the land is fully recovered...then it'll be time to start my ag projects (or should I say...retirement income). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Advice on sharpening rotary cutter blades #10  
I just put a new set of blades on the bush hog---the originals were about 4 years old and very beat up. Cost was $32 each from Tractor Supply and it took about an hour to replace them. Not bad I thought --- if i can get 4 years out of these I'll be happy.