Advice on reloading press kit for beginner

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
I am wanting to buy a reloading press kit and start reloading my own ammunition, so I would like some advice and or recommendations on the best press kit to purchase for a beginner, and when I say beginner I mean I know virtually nothing about reloading. Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide. Charlie.

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #2  
First question - Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun? What caliber's and how many rounds?

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #3  
   / Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #4  
Buy a reloading manual. Hornady or Speer are good ones. There are others as well.

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #5  
I have no objections with the Lee press. I think it cost about $80 ... "a few years ago".
I only reload two rifle rounds, so no need for "quick change over" or high volume. 40 rounds will wear me out at the range or field.

A quick look at Brownells suggests that equipment availability is suffering from the plandemic. (I like Midway better, but didn't check stock for you.

Get a simple bench mounted press, They are all good! and the dies for a single round. build from there.

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #6  
I vote Dillon 550.
It is a progressive.
Easily set up.
Tool heads are easily changed.
I have had mine 25 years.
Lifetime warranty.

But, reloading supplies are very hard to find right now.

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner
First question - Rifle, Pistol or Shotgun? What caliber's and how many rounds?

I will want to reload rifle and pistol ammo, 243,270, 30-06, 6.5 creedmor, 38 special, 9mm and 40 caliber, I am not sure on how many rounds.

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #8  
I am wanting to buy a reloading press kit and start reloading my own ammunition, so I would like some advice and or recommendations on the best press kit to purchase for a beginner, and when I say beginner I mean I know virtually nothing about reloading. Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide. Charlie.

First you'll have to make a decision whether you are going to reload using a single stage, turret, or progressive press for your needs.

Then I would suggest that you begin to watch a lot of different videos on reloading from the manufacturers/vendors websites and also you tube.

Be sure to read the comments on you tube about each video that can give you an indicator of the video's being good to poor.

Another site is AR15.com, armory, reloading, that has some information also that you can read.

If you explain in more detail in this thread as to what your goals are, I'm sure you will get good information here also.

Good luck,

KC

F.Y.I. I started reloading about 56 years ago with a RCBS RockChucker single stage press, using a beam scale, and casting my own lead bullets for .357 mag. & .44 Mag. Attention to detail of your reloading operation is critical throughout the complete process for "safety".

/ Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #9  
   / Advice on reloading press kit for beginner #10  
I will want to reload rifle and pistol ammo, 243,270, 30-06, 6.5 creedmor, 38 special, 9mm and 40 caliber, I am not sure on how many rounds.

I would suggest beginning with 1 only of your pistol cartridges and sticking with it until you get proficient and comfortable with reloading.

KC

edit: like the 38 special, straight case and no need to lube for sizing, and using a powder similar to 2400 where a visual check is easy to see a good charge and almost impossible to get a hot charge just by looking at all of the cases sitting in a loading block with the powder in them using a good small flashlight.