Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
Looking at purchasing an older ss for use around the farm. My tractor is too ungainly to get in where I need it anymore. Rented a ss for a proof of concept test and decided that's the direction I'm goimg. 10k budget. Looking at mostly 90's era machines. Realistically won't put more than 100-150 hours a year on it. I will be getting pallet forks, bale spear and post hole digger along the way. Would like to be in the 6-8k lb range so I can haul it with my dump trailer when I go after loading up dirt at grandpa's farm. We survived up until last year with a Bobcat M500 if that tells you anything about our need for fancy machines, lol.

So with that being said, what's the best bang for the buck? 743, 753, 863, 80XT, 1814? Any models to stay away from like the plague? Is it just me or does it seem the same machines that sold in 2005 for 4k are 8k now?

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #2  
having 3 machines two being a 743 and a 843, the 743 is a lighter machine and better visibility, the 743 has the Kubota motor, very easy on the fuel, it came with no cab so I picked up a soft cab, works great in windy winter but can easily be removed in summer, the 843 has the cab and powered by a Isuzu motor and uses more fuel, its a pain getting into as the cab door adds a ledge at the front you need to step over.

the 743 easily fits into my ford 1 ton dump box the 843 needs a trailer, both are easy to work on, the motor comes out for rebuild as I worked on both, they have a coupling at the rear to couple it to the pump

the larger machine would use the auger better as the 743 is light on the front and easily lifts the front wheels off the ground

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #3  
Some SS engines like Deutz and Perkins can give me a splitting headache that lasts the rest of the day. And I don't ever get headaches. Getting older and I find I wouldn't want to back my butt into a SS seat. It's why despite them not being high on my list, I would look at the JCB Robots for the side entry. Wonder if any have a Kubota Engine?

I can't hardly think of a machine that one could buy used and possibly screw oneself, worse than a skid Steer. I know one guy that got a JD, cheap, don't know what series, but the repairs just didn't end. Friends just got a used Bobcat and the problems are starting too. Mostly electrical/electronic. Same with another friend with a used Terex track loader. It has never worked once yet when he wanted to use it!

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase
JCB's are nice but I've only ever seen one under $20,000 and I think it had been in a fire, lol. So they are out of contention.
Laurencen- thank you for the insight. Thag is helpful since those are 2 models I'm looking at. If you only could have one or the other, which one would you take?

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #5  
TBigLug, each have a area where they shine, the 743 is used at the lake, smaller and compact, it clears snow, spreads gravel each weekend it launches boats, start and end of season deals with the boat lift and docks, has good visibility and maneuvers into tight spaces.

the 843 is used at work, visibility is poor but it will level driveway, easily did the holes for the fence, clears snow and having the heated cab is a bonus. it will do more work and stable machine, the 843 would be the keeper if i had to choose

some attachments that work on the 843 but poorly on the 743 are the chain trencher, rototiller and after drilling a 14 inch hole used a pole grabber to stand a 30 foot power pole in the yard, the 743 could not attempt that

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #6  
I found an S150 for the budget you mentioned. While I did get a good deal I don’t think it would be too hard to find one for 12 or 13K. Might be another option for you.

the 843 would be the keeper

That sounds like all the things I would be doing the 800 series could do but some things the 700 series could not, or at least would struggle. I'm going to be doing alot of earth moving installing 1,500 ft of driveway this summer. At least that gives me reason to believe the heavier machines would be better suited. I think I'd love to find an 873 in good shape around me.

I have seen a couple S series machines but around me they are all 13k+ and even those are pretty beat up machines.

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #8  
If I was doing a lot of moving earth the 843 would be my first choice, a 743 would be underpowered for that work.

13K for used is high, our 843 we paid 1500 with a blown Isuzu engine, they are simple to remove and work on, parts from Bobcat are expensive, ended up getting a complete lower rebuild kit from China for the price Bobcat charge for one piston, ring and liner. we replaced all the liners and pistons, lower bearings and valve job, have a total of 3500 into it and been working hard for a couple years now

you should keep a eye on Bobcat deals, we picked up a New S590 with 10K discounts and no interest for 5 years, something to consider it had 3 years unlimited hours full warranty

/ Advice on Older Skid Loader Purchase #9  
I had a 753 that was a nice, low hour (~2000) machine. I had two buckets for it, but the larger one (66") was in better shape, so I used that exclusively.

The good:
- Easy to transport, was only about 5K pounds.
- Was very well taken care of by previous owner
- Full cab with heat
- Ran and operated perfectly, looked great with a more modern paint job too
- Only $9,000
- More power than traction or ballast

The bad:
- VERY tippy front to back. When the bucket was off, it wanted to roll back on the slightest incline. With attachment on the front, it will roll forward easily. On my hills in NY, it was next to useless.
- Foot controls are a pain to get use to. I finally mastered them and then got rid of the machine.
- You cannot get out of the cab until the boom is down. Makes working by yourself a pain if you are lift objects with a chain or something.
- While my machine was in good shape, I did have electrical issues. Most were easily fixed, but my machine had a early version of electronic controls/gauges that are known to cause major issues. Later model 753 went to a more simple set-up. Avoid the old ones with digital LED displays.
- My L2501 is more stable and lifts about the same in the loader. The only thing I gave up was better grading ability with the SS.

Best of luck. Be patient and you'll find a decent machine. I found mine through a local dealer that auctions their old machines to a private re-seller. Try going through those guys and see what you can find.

you should keep a eye on Bobcat deals, we picked up a New S590 with 10K discounts and no interest for 5 years, something to consider it had 3 years unlimited hours full warranty

Lol, a man after my own heart. This is the excuse I used to acquire a new ExMark zero turn and new 14' Big Tex dump trailer. No bueno this go round. My DW has politely 🙄 informed me the low/no interest excuse does not fly this time as I am currently making to many of those worthwhile payments. Hence I am limited to my cash-on-hand 10k budget. 😂😂😂