Backhoe Advice on hydraulics

/ Advice on hydraulics #1  

parket

Tractor
Cub Cadet model 7300
I am new here and I apologise in advance if my question has been answered a thousand times before. I have a Cub Cadet 7300 with a factory brand FEL which works fine. I recently picked up a used Bradco 3265 3-point mounted backhoe. The problem is that my tractor is not plumbed for remote hydraulics. I am trying to find out if it would be better to get the dealer (or someone) to run a remote hookup, or should I invest in a PTO-driven pump system. My limited tractor experience has all been in the "operations" area - mostly haying in the midwest some 30 years or so ago.

/ Advice on hydraulics #2  
Welcome to TBN:D

We can certainly help you, but need more info since you have a machine that is not real popular.

Do you know the PSI and GPM specs of your tractor?

How many hoses connect to the FEL valve? If you have 7 then see if one of the ports is labeled PB or BYD. This would be the "Power Beyond" port, and it carries the full flow of the hydraulic pump through it whenever the tractor is running, you would extend this to the rear of the tractor to power implements with their own valves like backhoes and logsplitters.

This is a great DIY project, on on that can be completed by someone with average ability.

The problem with PTO pumps is the expense, you are looking at $400+ to add one.

Search in the Hydraulics forum, this is discussed often-maybe on different machines but the theory is all the same.

/ Advice on hydraulics
Found manual for 417 FEL on tractor. PB port off loader control valve goes back to T (tank, I assume) connector on tractor hydraulic block. Seems all I have to do is hook up a hose with the correct ends from that port to the rear of the tractor and a second hose from the T connection to another QD at the rear. The backhoe would tie to those and they would be connected together whenever the hoe was off. Is that correct? Or should I have some sort of on/off flow control valve at the rear to preclude forgetting to loop the lines back to the tank?

/ Advice on hydraulics #4  
The PB port on the FEL should feed the 3PH (rockshaft) valve. There should also be a port labeled T or OUT, this goes to the tank (sump, reservoir, whatever you want to call it).

So, now you need to create a "power beyond" "loop" to plug in your backhoe (or even a logsplitter, or add a new valve...)

-You need a hose to go from the PB port (on the FEL valve) to the rear of the tractor, and it need to have a QD (quick disconnect) on it.
-Now you need a hose with the opposite QD on it from the rear to where the line used to go (the "block" as you called it)

These hoses will have the full flow of the hydraulic system whenever the tractor is running, so they MUST be either connected together or to the backhoe BEFORE starting the engine-bad thing can happen if you don't keep the "loop".

You cannot use Tee's on ant high pressure lines-all newer valves (like the one on your backhoe) MUST be added in series.

Clear as mud:D

Last edited:
   / Advice on hydraulics #5  
Be very, very sure that there is a pressure limiting valve close to the pump or built into the FEL controls. If you forget to make the proper loop connections the overpressure valve will protect the pump from being hydraulically locked and destroying itself.:eek:

/ Advice on hydraulics #6  
Be very, very sure that there is a pressure limiting valve close to the pump or built into the FEL controls. If you forget to make the proper loop connections the overpressure valve will protect the pump from being hydraulically locked and destroying itself.:eek:

I think you mean "pressure relief valve";)

/ Advice on hydraulics
The PB port on the FEL should feed the 3PH (rockshaft) valve. There should also be a port labeled T or OUT, this goes to the tank (sump, reservoir, whatever you want to call it).

So, now you need to create a "power beyond" "loop" to plug in your backhoe (or even a logsplitter, or add a new valve...)

-You need a hose to go from the PB port (on the FEL valve) to the rear of the tractor, and it need to have a QD (quick disconnect) on it.
-Now you need a hose with the opposite QD on it from the rear to where the line used to go (the "block" as you called it)

These hoses will have the full flow of the hydraulic system whenever the tractor is running, so they MUST be either connected together or to the backhoe BEFORE starting the engine-bad thing can happen if you don't keep the "loop".

You cannot use Tee's on ant high pressure lines-all never valves (like the one on your backhoe) MUST be added in series.

Clear as mud:D

I think there is a misunderstanding from my earlier post. The block with the hydraulic connections on it which is located on the tractor has 3 connections on it labeled N,T, and P. The PB hose from the FEL goes back to it. I assume the T means tank. I did not mean a tee connection. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would like to put a remote hydraulic control valve in the line to be able to make the remote "live" or not, but all the detent type valves I have seen have some pressure limit which sends them back to center, so I suppose I will just use the "hose loop" method. Thanks for the help.

/ Advice on hydraulics #8  
I think there is a misunderstanding from my earlier post. The block with the hydraulic connections on it which is located on the tractor has 3 connections on it labeled N,T, and P. The PB hose from the FEL goes back to it. I assume the T means tank. I did not mean a tee connection. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would like to put a remote hydraulic control valve in the line to be able to make the remote "live" or not, but all the detent type valves I have seen have some pressure limit which sends them back to center, so I suppose I will just use the "hose loop" method. Thanks for the help.

Some pictures of your setup may help clarify things. The PB line generaly feeds the 3PH. In most machines, the pump outlet is plumbed to the FEL valve first, then the 3PH. It it possible to get a schematic from a dealer?

The "loop" method is what all the OEM's use in one way or another, there is no good valve choice available that doesn't take up to much real estate and extra plumbing.