Advice for building my own Cylinders?

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #1  

SensibleNick

Gold Member
Tractor
Foton FT254
Hi there.

I've got a project that Needs something like 10 cylinders. I'm happy to have them all in the same dimension (1 .3/4" or 2" ID) but I need different lengths.

The cost of buying that many is a problem, And I'm wondering if anyone has ever built their own?

I'm in the process of finding some cold-drawn seamless tube... And the other materials shouldn't be an issue, But has anyone done it? ... If so, How did it go? What would you do differently?

(I've got limitless access to tooling - the only thing I don't have a lot of is Money. :D )

Cheers!

/Nick

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #2  
If you have access to a lathe and welding machine (and know how to use them), I would think that you could make a cylinder, HOWEVER, the cost of the tubing, chrome plated rod stock for the cylinder rod ( which you cant make yourself) and seals is still going to be expensive. Having to buy all the component will likely end up about the same cost (maybe more) than buying a fabricated hydraulic cylinder. To my way of thinking, your project is similar to building a car from parts which cost much more than just buying one assembled.
If you wish to save money, I would think looking for used hydraulic cylinders would be the way to go, even if you have to re-build the seals which is all that wears out on a cylinder, as long as it isn't bent.

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #3  
   / Advice for building my own Cylinders? #4  
Yup I build them all the time. But to be honest if you don't need a custom cyl then you can but them at TSC of Northern hyd way cheaper than you can build them. For the cost of seals and barrel material you can buy a cyl. CJ

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders?
Yup I build them all the time. But to be honest if you don't need a custom cyl then you can but them at TSC of Northern hyd way cheaper than you can build them. For the cost of seals and barrel material you can buy a cyl. CJ

What's their shipping rate to Sweden? (And let's not forget the 25% import tax...) *sigh*

I'm certainly going to make custom lengths, and at least 4 will be a slightly odd design - and to answer an earlier question - I'm totally proficient when it comes to lathes, milling and welding - and have access to all the machinery I could need. Perk of the job I guess.

When it comes to barrel and seals, my company works fairly closely with a few hydraulics companies, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a "buddy price" on all the bits.... Not sure if they'd have chrome plated rod though.... I'll have to look into that - unless polished stainless will do the job - I've got lots of that!

Any tips on seal/guide bushing setups?

What're your opinions on polished stainless rod instead of chrome-plated?

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #6  
Hi there.

I've got a project that Needs something like 10 cylinders. I'm happy to have them all in the same dimension (1 .3/4" or 2" ID) but I need different lengths.

The cost of buying that many is a problem, And I'm wondering if anyone has ever built their own?

/Nick

Can your project use the same length cylinders, but with different stroke lengths? I'm thinking stops in the various cylinders. Buy cylinders in bulk, install stops as needed.

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #7  
I would think that stainless would be too easily bent but it all depends on the pressure needed. I think the normal hydraulic cylinder is a high carbon hardened piece of steel as they can bend a bit but also break/crack when bent so I think they are more than just a piece of rolled steel that has been chromed. That is just my thoughts from seeing some of them bent/broken. They are weldable but tensile strength is very high on those cylinder rods.
There are some video of how to build a hydraulic cylinder. I saw one on the "How it's Made" television show. It didn't look too hard to do if you have all the parts and seal material.

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #8  
I just put several cylinders on a sprayer and i was shocked how cheap they were $132 a piece . I would'nt like to make them for that !

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #9  
Stainless steel rods. This would in part depend on the grade of stainless used, rod length Vs loading etc. Since you re in Sweden I would presume that corrosion resistance is a requirement also.

There is a copy in the USA that makes the product on the link below. It is supposed to be tough and yet have good corrosion resistance.

201 Type 1 Ni-Resist Dura-Bar Overview

/ Advice for building my own Cylinders? #10  
What's their shipping rate to Sweden? (And let's not forget the 25% import tax...) *sigh*

I'm certainly going to make custom lengths, and at least 4 will be a slightly odd design - and to answer an earlier question - I'm totally proficient when it comes to lathes, milling and welding - and have access to all the machinery I could need. Perk of the job I guess.

When it comes to barrel and seals, my company works fairly closely with a few hydraulics companies, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get a "buddy price" on all the bits.... Not sure if they'd have chrome plated rod though.... I'll have to look into that - unless polished stainless will do the job - I've got lots of that!

Any tips on seal/guide bushing setups?

What're your opinions on polished stainless rod instead of chrome-plated?

Poly seals are about the best to work with. O-rings in cyls work but will roll and leak stay away from them. You have to build a wiper seal into the head gland and brass inserts for the head gland for a wear band is very good. As far as stainless unless hardened it would bend and gall like was stated. There has to be a local source for.these Chinese/Indian made cyls. Remember you have to make the barrel then hone to the rod piston size or make the piston fit the bore thread the rod for the piston. Make the mounts .then the rod gland then cut them for seals then be for you hone the bore put your ports in. I know there are more steps but you get the idea. Cj