adjusting valves ??

/ adjusting valves ?? #1  

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
I have 2005 , M5700 kubota with about 500 hrs. on the meter . I'm not sure if the hr. meter is time based or rpm based . I hardly ever run it at full pto speed .The book states to adjust valves at 600 hrs. so my question is do you think it should be done now or just wait for 600 hrs. I don't notice much difference in the eng. noise but I am no mechanic by a long shot .I do change oil and filter every summer even with low hrs. .
Thanks,

Last edited:
   / adjusting valves ?? #2  
good question. do you have an honest dealer to whom you can ask this question? are you experienced/comfortable adjusting valves yourself, incl determining TDC when adjusting valve lashes, etc? is your hr meter mechanical or electrical? (usually, mechanical hr meters record hrs @ full output of engine per hr, so the actual clock hrs of your machine may be more) personally, i would not feel the need for valve adj in you situation. my 8540 is approaching 500 hrs, haven't thought about it much. wise to ask question, sorry couldn't help more, messicks, do you have an answer?

/ adjusting valves ??
I would have a mechanic do it,, but not a dealer, as they are to far away . I have no idea if the hr. meter is mech. or electrical .

/ adjusting valves ?? #4  
to be honest, i wouldn't think this is a priority. maybe within a 1k range on engine. if you're in good terms w/your mechanic, so much the better, all the best

/ adjusting valves ??
Thanks bubba , I havn't talked to my mechanic yet as he works on cars mostly, so I asked on here to hear from tractor guys and your experience .

/ adjusting valves ?? #6  
Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not. However when the time comes around on my tractor I will adjust them, it's really not hard.

/ adjusting valves ??
Is it absolutely necessary? Probably not. However when the time comes around on my tractor I will adjust them, it's really not hard.

I have done it on motorcycles so I could probably do on a tractor with the use of a manual .

/ adjusting valves ?? #8  
I have done it on motorcycles so I could probably do on a tractor with the use of a manual .

I'm sure you could if you have already. I read some instructions online and adjusted the valves on my diesel truck (had more time then and was bored) and it was intimidating at first but once I was done it was super easy.

/ adjusting valves ??
My dad gave me an old L235 kubota a few years back . I have no idea how many hrs. it had on it , the hr. meter broke many moons ago , but alot for sure . The eng. never had any work done on it at all and that eng. sounded great, so maybe I am rushing things here .

/ adjusting valves ?? #10  

Its not much different they use an adjustable tappet like many older motorcycles and dirt bikes. Much easier than my goldwing or Suzuki Z400 which are shim under bucket and require cam shaft removal to adjust.