adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses.

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
Any ideas on adding spiral plastic hose guard without removing at least one end of a hose? I did a few yesterday, before the rain, and it is quite tedious, but it is good for an arm (and patience) workout. Not that it's so easy even with an end free.+

I did not expect the wrap for a few more days and wanted to get on with the job. Without the hose and fitting plugs ("be in soon"), I'll lose some of the expensive hydraulic fluid I just topped off.

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #2  
For years now, I've had some rolls of 1" diameter tubular nylon that I try to remember to slip over hoses when I've got one end free.

Electriduct 1" Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve - 25 Feet - Black​

Got it on Amazon where it costs about a dollar and a half a foot. It's the right stuff, and very resistant to sunlight and abrasion. Turn out that it is necessary to always cut it six inches to a foot too long. Being a bit baggy doesn't hurt a thing, and it does seem to shrink a bit in use. Fix it in place with a zip tie on each end. Zip tie around the metal end of the hose instead of the rubber.

A nice system, but it has several problems besides the cost and shrinkage. One is having to take one end of a hose loose, and the other is - since hoses failures are unscheduled events - remembering where I put that roll of hose sleeve last time.

I wonder if there is some sort of flat protective hose sleeve with hook and loop? Something that could be wrapped around a hose and then the edges pressed together to seal it in place. That would be a product worth trying.
rScotty

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses.
For years now, I've had some rolls of 1" diameter tubular nylon that I try to remember to slip over hoses when I've got one end free.

Electriduct 1" Nylon Protective Hose Sleeve - 25 Feet - Black​

Got it on Amazon where it costs about a dollar and a half a foot. It's the right stuff, and very resistant to sunlight and abrasion. Turn out that it is necessary to always cut it six inches to a foot too long. Being a bit baggy doesn't hurt a thing, and it does seem to shrink a bit in use. Fix it in place with a zip tie on each end. Zip tie around the metal end of the hose instead of the rubber.

A nice system, but it has several problems besides the cost and shrinkage. One is having to take one end of a hose loose, and the other is - since hoses failures are unscheduled events - remembering where I put that roll of hose sleeve last time.

I wonder if there is some sort of flat protective hose sleeve with hook and loop? Something that could be wrapped around a hose and then the edges pressed together to seal it in place. That would be a product worth trying.
rScotty

Like this?

Or this:

Could just get some split sleeve and use a zip tie every few feet, not pulled to tight.

This is what I got:

Last edited:
   / adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #4  
I know this stuff is meant for electrical wires/cables, but have used it on hydraulic hoses as well.

It works well, and is already split making it easy to install afterwards.

IMG_5495.JPG

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #5  
Hydraulic Parts - BoltOnHooks LLC Dura-Wrap at the bottom of the page. Ken's is a TBN sponsor if I recall.

I have some of that from Ken or Fit Rite Hydraulics (another TBN sponsor). It's worked well.

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #6  
I bought some heavy plastic spiral wrap hydraulic hose protection from the local napa store. Sold by the foot IIRC. Wraps onto already installed hoses. Click on the pic and then expand it. Look at the remote lines to the TnT cylinders.

P1100970.JPG

gg

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #7  
Any ideas on adding spiral plastic hose guard without removing at least one end of a hose? I did a few yesterday, before the rain, and it is quite tedious, but it is good for an arm (and patience) workout. Not that it's so easy even with an end free.+

I did not expect the wrap for a few more days and wanted to get on with the job. Without the hose and fitting plugs ("be in soon"), I'll lose some of the expensive hydraulic fluid I just topped off.
I did it to almost all of my hoses. I didn't disconnect any of them, and it is an all hydraulic tractor.

Here is what I did. Try to measure out how much you need before you start, and get that amount loose from the spool, but don't cut the wrap.
(Well you can, but it is almost guaranteed that you've underestimated how much hose you will need, and who wants a hose wrapped with two pieces, even if it still works?)​
Twist the wrap slightly to expand a short section, the diameter of your hose, and then place that against your hose and start spiraling the free end of the wrap around your hose, heading away from the spool until either you reach the end of the hose (congratulations!) or the end of what you unspooled. If you ran out of wrap, unspool a chunk more and then push it on the hose (no spiraling). That then expands and loosens the wrap and lets you move existing wrap down the hose until you have everything wrapped. I find that I can extend/stretch the spiral to the end if it is close, which then leaves space on the hose to easily put the extra on the hose. After a few tries, you get pretty good at guesstimating how much more wrap you need than the actual length of hose, so you don't do very much pushing wrap around the hose.

On a few of the tandem hoses, I wrapped the hoses individually and then over wrapped with a thicker wrap to protect the pair and hold them together.

All the best,

Peter

Forgot to get back to this post. Went with "safeplast" in 1/2 and 3/4 inch ID. After some trial and error did it much as Peter described. Problem I had was I could not "push" the wrap down the hose at all, I had to "spiral" it on. Did not cut the first couple, but quickly found what a PITA dealing with 25 ft of twisty turn spiral wrap could be. Once I got the "eyeball" calibrated ended up cutting which went a lot easier.

In this case, I found the spiral holds tight enough there is no need, so far, to ty-wrap or otherwise secure the ends to keep it in place. I'd guess that depends mostly on the OD of the hose and ID of the spiral.

If nothing else, feel like a better tractor owner now. Some pictures below:

Attachments

• 1654788749879.png
    1654788749879.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220609_112613[1].jpg
    20220609_112613[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 69
  • 20220609_112532[1].jpg
    20220609_112532[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I bought some heavy plastic spiral wrap hydraulic hose protection from the local napa store. Sold by the foot IIRC. Wraps onto already installed hoses. Click on the pic and then expand it. Look at the remote lines to the TnT cylinders.

View attachment 748081

gg

Did you build that scraper/leveler?

/ adding spiral hose guard to installed hoses. #10  
Yes - It's 12 years old now and still my go-to road tool. My rear blade and box blade have their place but that grader sees the bulk of the work.

Grading.JPG

GradeDrive2.JPG

gg