Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
I bought a pair of Tuff 4" LED lights to replace the factory cab mounted halogens. I noticed that these things only draw 1.9 amps. Any chance I could keep the two halogens (point them to the sides) and utilize the LED's as the driving lights? The cab worklight circuit has a 30 amp fuse that feeds 4 worklights-two in front, two in back.

I would just jump into the existing feed wires.

Opinions?
By the way-lot of comments on other threads on LED lights. These TUFF lights were under 50 bucks including freight. Made in China -shocker!- but I have to say-appear well made-heavy, nice stainless hardware and good packaging. Got them on Amazon

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #2  
the only honest way to tell is to place a clamp-on amp meter just ahead of the lighting fuze and find out how much is on that circuit. That fuse might be also powering up headlights,etc.

with the amps known, a positive answer can be made

if indeed no other light is serviced from that circuit, the 50 watt halogen lamps will EACH be pulling 4.2 amps (if there 50 watt halogens).

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab
the only honest way to tell is to place a clamp-on amp meter just ahead of the lighting fuze and find out how much is on that circuit. That fuse might be also powering up headlights,etc.

with the amps known, a positive answer can be made

if indeed no other light is serviced from that circuit, the 50 watt halogen lamps will EACH be pulling 4.2 amps (if there 50 watt halogens).
Thx for response-without checking with a meter, with a 30 amp fuse, 4 lights @ 4.2 plus the two LEDs at 1.9 should leve plenty of margin.

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #4  
Thx for response-without checking with a meter, with a 30 amp fuse, 4 lights @ 4.2 plus the two LEDs at 1.9 should leve plenty of margin.

yes, as long as there arnt any other lights on the system. Also there probably is a lighting contactor some wheres to hook the lights into.

yes, as long as there arnt any other lights on the system. Also there probably is a lighting contactor some wheres to hook the lights into.
Correct-only the four cab worklights are on that 30 amp circuit. I made brackets yesterday and was trying to keep the factory halogens in place as well. I had guys telling me however to "forget it". the LEDs will be more than adequate on their own. So I hooked one up on one side with the factory light in place on the other- case closed-these things border on "hazardous".
Pix to follow.

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #6  
From whom did you purchase these lights for$50?

From whom did you purchase these lights for$50?
Amazon-and I was wrong on price. I checked order-lights were 48.84, shipping 8.53.

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #8  
I would be more worried about taxing the alternator to death. I replaced all of my cab lights, head lights and tail lights with LED. The the new LEDs are so much brighter, they wash out the old halogens so bad that you wouldn't be able even see them. Also the LED's are a white light instead of the warm white that the halogens put off and they look bad paired up. So what's the point of adding the load to the alternator, that will eventually burn up. Just my opinion.

IMG_1311.jpgIMG_1320.jpgIMG_1318.jpg
I would be more worried about taxing the alternator to death. I replaced all of my cab lights, head lights and tail lights with LED. The the new LEDs are so much brighter, they wash out the old halogens so bad that you wouldn't be able even see them. Also the LED's are a white light instead of the warm white that the halogens put off and they look bad paired up. So what's the point of adding the load to the alternator, that will eventually burn up. Just my opinion.
Well you were right on as far as washing out the halogens. I installed an LED on one side while the halogen was hooked up on other side-case closed. First picture is with originals, next picture is two LEDs. Pictures don't do justice to the superior power of the LEDs. these are 1550 lumens

/ Adding LED's to Deere 4720 Cab #10  
Are these the 27W lights?