Backhoe Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #1  

leroy3006

Tractor
Kuabota L3830
Help! I need to add quick connect hyd. lines to operate a 3 pt hitch backhoe with my Kubota L3830. The tractor has a front end loader but no aux. hydraulics on the rear. I've gone through the parts diagrams and identified the hyd. distrubution block and which line is power beyond, pressure and tank return. Also identified the power beyond port, pressure port and return on the loader valve assembly. My question is; where is the proper place to tap into the lines and ultimately, which lines. I'm a bit confused by the power beyond line and pressure line. I'm told by other sources that since the backhoe attachment has it's own control valves, all I need is to tap into the power beyond line for pressure and a tank return line coming back in--is this correct? Also, I've checked with Kubota Parts and they make all kind of kits for adding remote valves but all of them include a "valve" or some kind of control assembly, which I don't need. Another question, if anyone is familiar with these Kubota optional hydraulic kits; does the kit for these add-on rear remotes have a hydraulic distribution block that is different from what I have now (just supplying the front end loader) and if so, can that block be bought separate from the complete kit? Any help appreciated, need to start digging.......

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #2  
leroy, you don't need any rear hydraulic outlets in order to hook up your BH. There is a pretty good u-tube video from CAL attachments showing the power beyond connections for Kubota.

In this video, they are installing a 3rd function valve which you might find interesting if you ever want to do that.

What you need to do is locate the PB connection on your loader valve, the hose connected to this port will connect to the hydraulic block located on the right side of your tractor. This is the line you will remove ,you will need to install a longer 1/2" hose from the loader valve PB port to the rear of your tractor. You will then need to install another 1/2" hose from the rear back to the hydraulic block.

You need to put QC's on these hoses at the rear,when the backhoe is removed you will need to hook these hoses together or else your pump could dead-head .

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830
leroy, you don't need any rear hydraulic outlets in order to hook up your BH. There is a pretty good u-tube video from CAL attachments showing the power beyond connections for Kubota.

In this video, they are installing a 3rd function valve which you might find interesting if you ever want to do that.

What you need to do is locate the PB connection on your loader valve, the hose connected to this port will connect to the hydraulic block located on the right side of your tractor. This is the line you will remove ,you will need to install a longer 1/2" hose from the loader valve PB port to the rear of your tractor. You will then need to install another 1/2" hose from the rear back to the hydraulic block.

You need to put QC's on these hoses at the rear,when the backhoe is removed you will need to hook these hoses together or else your pump could dead-head .

OK, that makes pretty good sense, in effect that would be just making a long PB loop to the back of the tractor. Yes, I've seen some of those videos on utube but I guess I wasn't understanding it quite like that. So let me run this by you to make sure I get it. I pull the hose off the PB port on the FEL control and install a new hose to the rear of the tractor, ending with female QC, which would be my pressure line. Then take the line coming from the PB port on the distribution block (that was originally connected to the FEL control), re-route it to the rear, extend as necessary and add the female QC, making this the return line. Then make up a short line with both ends male QC to couple the loop together when the hoe is not attached. Am I missing anything? One other question; are you saying 1/2" hoses for a specific reason or just as an example? I believe all the hydraulic lines on the Kubota and the hoe are 3/8". Many thanks for the help!

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #4  
Make one end of your new line male and the other female. That way you don't need to make a short section to connect them and you can also connect the connectors on the BH when is not in use. And it'll be impossible to connect the BH backards.

I've read that 3/8 is large enough for under 10gpm. But even with 3/8 line most people use 1/2" ag connectors- they're often cheaper than 3/8 and they're "standard".

One way the BH connection is done is shown in this video:

How To Mount A Branson BH7615 217 & later, BH76C & BH86 Backhoe...Upload by Big Tex Tractor Co. - YouTube

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #5  
Leroy, do you already have the BH that you're going to use? If you do, make sure that the hose from the loader valve hose goes to the input side of your BH valve. Yes you are correct that in effect you are making a longer hose from the loader valve and back to the hydraulic block.

I would suggest that you go to Messicks website and look up the BH that you're going to use . There is a lot of drawings showing the plumbing. On my 4330 with the frame mount backhoe,Kubota uses a bracket to secure the feed line,which has female QC firmly attached to the tractor. Mine also has a bracket attached to the BH to hold the return line to the tractor.

I mention this because it is a bear to try to couple the QC's without help.BTW, what backhoe are you using?

Make one end of your new line male and the other female. That way you don't need to make a short section to connect them and you can also connect the connectors on the BH when is not in use. And it'll be impossible to connect the BH backards.

I've read that 3/8 is large enough for under 10gpm. But even with 3/8 line most people use 1/2" ag connectors- they're often cheaper than 3/8 and they're "standard".

One way the BH connection is done is shown in this video:

How To Mount A Branson BH7615 217 & later, BH76C & BH86 Backhoe...Upload by Big Tex Tractor Co. - YouTube

Good idea, I'll do that. Thanks!

Leroy, do you already have the BH that you're going to use? If you do, make sure that the hose from the loader valve hose goes to the input side of your BH valve. Yes you are correct that in effect you are making a longer hose from the loader valve and back to the hydraulic block.

I would suggest that you go to Messicks website and look up the BH that you're going to use . There is a lot of drawings showing the plumbing. On my 4330 with the frame mount backhoe,Kubota uses a bracket to secure the feed line,which has female QC firmly attached to the tractor. Mine also has a bracket attached to the BH to hold the return line to the tractor.

I mention this because it is a bear to try to couple the QC's without help.BTW, what backhoe are you using?

Yes, the hoe is a Vermeer BH 700. It's actually the hoe off an old Vermeer trencher. I bought it for a decent price and rebuilt/replaced all the cylinders and hydraulic lines on it and retrofitted it to a three point hitch mount. Unfortunately the control valves were shot and all the parts were discontinued so I am replacing the valves with a Prince unit. Would have been cheaper in the long run to have bought a new hoe but this thing is way more beefy than what you can buy now plus the pins and bushing are like brand new, no play at all. So maybe I'll eventually have a good solid machine. I originally bought this with plans to mount it on my old Deutz 3006 and also bought a PTO driven hydraulic pump as the 3006 hydraulics are extremely weak. I found out however that the PTO driven hydraulic just doesn't move enough GPM to operate the back hoe functions. Anyone want an almost new Prince PTO hydraulic pump?

That's a very good idea! I remember how tight these things were when I used to pull a wildland tree planter behind a JD 450 crawler.

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #9  
Help! I need to add quick connect hyd. lines to operate a 3 pt hitch backhoe with my Kubota L3830. The tractor has a front end loader but no aux. hydraulics on the rear. I've gone through the parts diagrams and identified the hyd. distrubution block and which line is power beyond, pressure and tank return. Also identified the power beyond port, pressure port and return on the loader valve assembly. My question is; where is the proper place to tap into the lines and ultimately, which lines. I'm a bit confused by the power beyond line and pressure line. I'm told by other sources that since the backhoe attachment has it's own control valves, all I need is to tap into the power beyond line for pressure and a tank return line coming back in--is this correct? Also, I've checked with Kubota Parts and they make all kind of kits for adding remote valves but all of them include a "valve" or some kind of control assembly, which I don't need. Another question, if anyone is familiar with these Kubota optional hydraulic kits; does the kit for these add-on rear remotes have a hydraulic distribution block that is different from what I have now (just supplying the front end loader) and if so, can that block be bought separate from the complete kit? Any help appreciated, need to start digging.......

Don't know if anyone has already mentioned it to you, but it is generally considered to be a bad idea to mount any type of backhoe on a 3pt. hitch.
Way too much stress on the top link.

/ Adding Hydraulic lines for 3 pt hitch backhoe on Kubota L3830 #10  
Yes, the hoe is a Vermeer BH 700. It's actually the hoe off an old Vermeer trencher. I bought it for a decent price and rebuilt/replaced all the cylinders and hydraulic lines on it and retrofitted it to a three point hitch mount. Unfortunately the control valves were shot and all the parts were discontinued so I am replacing the valves with a Prince unit. Would have been cheaper in the long run to have bought a new hoe but this thing is way more beefy than what you can buy now plus the pins and bushing are like brand new, no play at all. So maybe I'll eventually have a good solid machine. I originally bought this with plans to mount it on my old Deutz 3006 and also bought a PTO driven hydraulic pump as the 3006 hydraulics are extremely weak. I found out however that the PTO driven hydraulic just doesn't move enough GPM to operate the back hoe functions. Anyone want an almost new Prince PTO hydraulic pump?

Leroy,
Apologies for bringing an old thread back to life, but I wondered how things turned out for you as I am having similar thoughts about my PTO driven 3-point backhoe I mount to a L3830 GST.

Anything you can share about the experience would be appreciated.

Last edited: