Adding D Rings to Trailer

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
I ordered a new custom Sure Trac 18' 9900lb utility trailer with 2' mesh sides in August. After (2) months of delays it finally arrived at the dealer. I ordered it with (11) D rings, (5 on each side and 1 in the center front). I will use the trailer to move my new Kubota LX3310 TLB very occasionally and also just regular utility moving/picking up things. Well, guess what was not installed? Zero D rings. I have (2) options, weld and bolt on (or a 3rd I guess is to refuse the trailer and wait another ~6 months for another). I do not want to grind through fresh power coat in 11 locations, weld on rings and paint over it as it will just introduce areas for rust to start and moisture to get under the powercoat. Which leaves me with adding high-quality bolt on D-rings. Not super pleased about drilling 11 or 22 holes in the base of the frame, but if I did I can pack them with silicone to seal against rust. I'm considering high-quality clevis mounts from Ken's bolt on hooks but that would be expensive and probably overkill. Most 1/2" D rings are zinc plated, but most I've seen still tend to rust. Looking for the best bolt on D rings and hardware that will not rust over time. for hardware, I could use high quality grade 8 zinc chromate (yellowish) like Ken uses. thanks for the help, always something.......

Last edited:
   / Adding D Rings to Trailer #2  
I would have shown the dealer a copy of the build sheet that I signed and told them to order a new trailer that was built to my original specifications.

I just bought a Load Trail 83" x 24' 14k trailer from Beck's Trailer Store in St. Johns MI, and I had to sign and email a copy of the build sheet back to Beck's before they would place the order to the factory.

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer
^^ As I said I can refuse the trailer and wait for another. This one took almost 6 months for build/delivery. The dealer knows the D rings were included in the order, that is not an issue. thanks

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer #4  
You may want to ask the dealer and manufacturer what they want to do about it. Also ask what happens to the trailer warranty if you add the D-rings.

Yes, the dealer offered to install weld on rings (which I do not want now) or bolt on. If I go with the bolt on rings, I will work to get the price of the trailer down and purchase and install them myself to insure they are done right with no chance of moisture under them. I will inquire about the warranty. thanks

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer #6  
Are there stake pockets on the trailer?

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer #7  
Yes, the dealer offered to install weld on rings (which I do not want now) or bolt on. If I go with the bolt on rings, I will work to get the price of the trailer down and purchase and install them myself to insure they are done right with no chance of moisture under them. I will inquire about the warranty. thanks

Missing the "D" rings on a trailer is not a big deal on a powder coated trailer.
Simply grind the coating off, and weld the "D" rings on exactly where you want them.
Powder coating of trailers is one of the biggest farce sales gimmicks there is.
After a year or two, your powder coating will be chipping/peeling/falling off/, all over your nice new trailer.

After the missing "D" rings are welded on, simply apply two coats of marine epoxy paint to those small areas.
Save the remainder,.....you will be needing it very soon, to touch up all the failed powder coat areas.
Marine epoxy paint is vastly superior to powder coating on a trailer!

Just ask me how I know!

Missing the "D" rings on a trailer is not such a big deal on a powder coated trailer.
Simply grind the coating off, and weld the "D" rings on exactly where you want them.
Powder coating of trailers is one of the biggest farce sales gimmicks there is.
After a year or two, your powder coating will be chipping off/failing all over your nice new trailer.

After the "D" rings are welded on simply apply two coats of marine two part epoxy paint to those small areas.
Save the remainder,.....you will be needing it to tough up all the failed powder coat areas.

How do I know?
Just ask me!

LOL, Not sure about your trailers, but the power coating on my other trailer, a 14k lb Sure Trac dump trailer looks almost new after 7 years.

/ Adding D Rings to Trailer #10  
LOL, Not sure about your trailers, but the power coating on my other trailer, a 14k lb Sure Trac dump trailer looks almost new after 7 years.

Maybe you will get lucky.
I did not, and many others were not.

Last edited:

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

New AGT Compact Track Loader CRT23 Yellow (A34302)
New AGT Compact...
Sany SY50 MP Hydraulic Thumb (A33113)
Sany SY50 MP...
2023 John Deere C12F Corn Head (A33028)
2023 John Deere...
2018 TRAIL KING TK80MG RGN T/A TRAILER, S/N 1TKJ04825JW104833, 28' WELL, NEW 255/70R22.5 TIRES (A34808)
2018 TRAIL KING...
John Deere 6120E Tractor (A33028)
John Deere 6120E...
2008 International 8600 Truck, VIN # 1HSHXAHRX8J552660 (A33113)
2008 International...