Front-End Loader Adding a loader to a Ford 4000

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #1  

Ford Frank

Tractor
Ford 4000
Greetings everyone! I have a 1965 Ford 4000 tractor that I've owned for the past 15 years, and it has served me quite well. I use it for snow removal / driveway maintenance, and I've always wanted to add a loader and need some help to get there. What make/model should I be looking for? Thanks!
Ford 4000.jpg

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #2  
According to Tractordata.com

the factory loader was model 727.
I'm sure that you will find something which will work.

Nice tractor. My father had a 4400 gasser which did a lot of work. I would have brought it home after he passed away but it had been parked in the barn for a while and hadn't been started. I needed something to use so bought my Kubota instead.

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000
Thanks for the info, there is a Westendorf WL42 available in the area and from what I've read, it should work.

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #4  
You need to prepare yourself for the fact that adding a loader on these tractors blocks a lot of engine access for doing normal maintenance much less a big job.

Nice looking tractor!

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #5  

You need to prepare yourself for the fact that adding a loader on these tractors blocks a lot of engine access for doing normal maintenance much less a big job.

Nice looking tractor!
Thanks! Yeah, I thought about that, especially if I had to work on it outside in the middle of winter (gelled fuel, dead battery, been there! :( )
I saw a used Koyker 190 loader that is available locally, but I don't know if it's compatible for my application, does anyone know if it would fit?

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #7  
I saw a used Koyker 190 loader that is available locally, but I don't know if it's compatible for my application, does anyone know if it would fit?

According to their website

It will take either a 220 or a 510.
What I couldn't figure out was if those are subsets of the 190, or an altogether different loader.

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #8  
Greetings everyone! I have a 1965 Ford 4000 tractor that I've owned for the past 15 years, and it has served me quite well. I use it for snow removal / driveway maintenance, and I've always wanted to add a loader and need some help to get there. What make/model should I be looking for? Thanks!View attachment 855887
Ford 730 should work as well.
Prepare for fairly slow hydraulics if you don't add a front crankshaft driven pump or a PTO add on.
I don't think the top plate add on style have enough flow for quick cylinder response.

Ford 730 should work as well.
Prepare for fairly slow hydraulics if you don't add a front crankshaft driven pump or a PTO add on.
I don't think the top plate add on style have enough flow for quick cylinder response.
I'm actually looking at a 730 loader, but I think it may not be compatible with my tractor without some significant modification to the front bolster area, (please see below) Thoughts anyone?
730 Bolster.JPG
730 Loader.JPG
Front support.jpg
?

/ Adding a loader to a Ford 4000 #10  
I'm actually looking at a 730 loader, but I think it may not be compatible with my tractor without some significant modification to the front bolster area, (please see below) Thoughts anyone?View attachment 858137View attachment 858138View attachment 858139?

That lower bolster mount looks like it is for a 3000.

I think there must be a different one for the 4000 since it has the heavier front axle assembly.

I had a very similar 730 on my 3000, from what the original owner said they cautioned him about being careful with the 730 mounted to a 3000 and that breakage of the front axle was a possibility.
Sure enough it was broken more than once over the years. I always thought the 3000 was the modified version of the 730 to fit it and normally they were sold with 727's and that the 730 was usually speced for the 4000.?.

Somewhere there must be pics of the 730 installed on a 4000 and what the differences there is in the front pump mount / cradle.

It has been a while and can't remember if the cradle was actually a welded one piece assembly with the rest of the loader frame or not.

It looks like that is complete with pump hoses and valve blocks.

If you do get it and have it working with the front pump you will be amazed with how fast the hydraulics are. Mine had a Vickers vane pump with 17 GPM and at times was almost "too fast".
Hope it works out. The Ford FELs are well made strong units and are easier on the tractor since much of the forces when plowing or digging are transferred to the rear axle.

Whatever FEL you end up with I would mount the heaviest rear implement you have on the 3 point to help with traction.

Before I did that I could barely back up an incline with anything in the bucket.

Last edited: