Adding a claw

/ Adding a claw #1  

pmmully

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L48 TLB
Wondering about adding a claw/thumb to my bucket. I am seeing some aftermarket kits, etc.

Hydraulic is awesome, but how are the mechanicals?

Last edited:
   / Adding a claw #2  
Wondering about adding a claw/thumb to my bucket. I am seeing some aftermarket kits, etc.

Hydraulic is awesome, but how are the mechanicals?
Backhoe or loader? I use my BH77 mech thumb regularly. Very useful especially for ripping out stumps, grabbing rocks.
I've also gotten used to quickly adjusting it while remaining on the backhoe platform. In park or transport position just swing full to the right, brings the pin within reach.

/ Adding a claw #3  
I bought a Linville 18" 'kit' for my Terramite. It has three use positions and can tuck away neatly when not needed. Adjustments and jaw/brace R & R easy removal by pulling three included HD hitch pins.

That said, I move rocks (up to FEL capacity) with a 48" FEL grapple vs using the BH thumb. Sizing jaw length to match/oppose bucket teeth was more 'close' than precise. I'm not going out in the cold, but have a pic from when I bought it. (~$200 or less) No regrets at all. :)

18 in Thumb.jpg

/ Adding a claw
Backhoe or loader? I use my BH77 mech thumb regularly. Very useful especially for ripping out stumps, grabbing rocks.
I've also gotten used to quickly adjusting it while remaining on the backhoe platform. In park or transport position just swing full to the right, brings the pin within reach.

Sorry, should have been more specific. This is the BT1100 backhoe on an L48 TLB. The mechanical is fine for my use. I am having trouble finding one. I was looking for a pure bolt-on for simplicity as the BT1100 did not have the factory mount point for a thumb.

I can see where the jaw needs to be a bit "right" in order to work correctly. In this case, the jaw on the BH would allow me more small demo job opportunities. But I would not mind a front grapple as well.

@theoldgrind thanks for that, they make many sizes. Now I just have to determine if it will fit on the stick. How did you mount it?

/ Adding a claw
It is my understanding when sizing these mechanicals, the thumb must be equal to or greater than the length of the bucket or I guess things may get some damage. I guess the teeth must be offset as well. I am finding all sorts of options for the B-series, but no L-series. Some of the bigger players for the real heavy stuff do not make stuff as small as the BT1100.

/ Adding a claw #6  
Didn’t have thumbs on some past machines but thought about it. Wouldn’t drill or weld on the dipper stick. Use a design to spread out the force. You have some power now.

Current two machines have hydraulic thumbs. Don’t dig as much as grubbing up trees and brush on ditch and creek banks. So much easier than using a chain. Makes moving rocks like playing a game. Once using a thumb hard to imagine not having one.

Thinking sometime during the L48 production a ssqa was an option. Huge versatility upgrade particularly with 3rd valve function.

/ Adding a claw #7  
I have a hydraulic thumb on my backhoe and mini excavator. It literally doubles the usefulness. IMG_7646.JPG

/ Adding a claw #8  
Mechanical versus hydraulic thumb kind of depends on what you want to do with the backhoe. If you mostly want the ability to clamp on to something to move it to a new location then the mechanical one will be fine. If you see yourself picking up something - like a rock - so that you can place it carefully into position on top of a rock wall then that is better done with the hydraulic thumb.

I use the hydraulic thumb a lot because I do a lot of picking and placing rocks and logs for rock & log walls, to make neat edges or boundaries, or place rocks to walk on or for kids to climb on. It's kind of hard to explain the advantage of the hydraulic without actually showing it in motion...., but basically by using the hydraulic thumb I can keep pressure on the rock so that it is being held as the bucket uncurls. By holding onto the rock as I uncurl the bucket I gain another several eet of distance. And as the bucket uncurls, the side of the rock that was facing the operator when we transported the rock now becomes the bottom, so it is easy to place the rock exactly into position on top of others.

It's easier to go from a mechanical to a hydraulic thumb than from no thumb at all to a mechanical one, so if you want to break the project into two parts that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is that backhoes should have the fittings for a thumb as part of the dipper stick. It would be a minor matter to make add thumb attachment points when the dipper is manufactured.

At one point, Amulet Bucket Accessories made a "Hoe Clamp" thumb that was connected to the bucket pivot by a system of links and levers so that curling the bucket cause the bucket thumb to move toward the bucket with a powerful clamping motion - all powered by the movement of the bucket itself. So as the bucket curled, the thumb moved to clamp the load.

Maybe some clever guy will market a version of that design for our Kubota TLBs.
rScotty

/ Adding a claw
I am talking to Linville industries now. The new L47 TLB I priced was about $61K with third function and hydraulic thumb. I almost popped for it but did not want $1100/month for 5 years just yet. I need to see how this goes. It is odd that they just never offer a thumb (according to local Kubota here in FL), nor are the factory mounts there. I would weld one, but you have to get the geometry right for the setup, and I agree it was not designed for that so it may cause a failure down the road.

I am mainly using it to grab debris for the small demo jobs that the bigger companies do not want to mess with. But it is very clear to me how a hydraulic for precision setting of things would be the bomb. Honestly, if this service takes off, I will likely spring for a new one next year, with one more tax year left. May keep the L48 as well. From what I can tell, the L48 is gold.

/ Adding a claw #10  
Wow 61k prices have gone up...