Loader Add TC45DA rear hydro valve?

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
To add or not to add - that's the question.

I have been watching the local Craigslist for a year now an have not been able to catch a deal on a rear PTO post hole digger. So I asked my dealer for a price. He had 2 thoughts. One - but the PTO PH digger and use it for the fencing job and then let it accumulate dust. OR install a rear remote setup on the tractor, get a pair of 15' hoses and run a rented Bobcat hydro and reversible auger of the QA loader.

In the end - cost wise - the price is about the same to own the rear PH digger vs the hydro setup and rented for 2 weeks.

2 questions:
has anyone run a setup like that - is the flow enough (should be a 9gph)?
Is there a valve that will allow continuous flow AND controlled flow too - controlled being slide the control lever and thing move stop sliding and flow stops. Specific example might be a lever on the valve that has a detent on each end of the motion to allow continuous in one direction or the other. The range between the detente behaves like a loader control or lift arms.

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve? #2  
I think you seriously should consider renting the whole Bobcat-Auger setup and not use the tractor. There are augers that can run off of low flow, but I think the Bobcat ones generally run best with 12 to 16 gpm. If you put a remote on the tractor, you'll have to run big 1/2" hoses all the way up to the auger for the best flow. The cost will probably exceed $200 just for that, plus the $550 for a remote, plus the rental fee for the Bobcat auger. If you buy a regular 3PH auger, you can sell it later on CL, but you won't get much over 1/2 price. I really like rear remotes on our tractors, but I'd compare the complete price to the cost of a rental of a Bobcat with auger and see where I came out on money.

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve? #3  
There's a 3rd option. Buy the PTO PH digger and use it for yor project as you said. But then instead of letting accumulate dust, you could sell it and recoup some/most of your money. You said yourself how you've looked for a good used one for a year. I'm sure others are doing the same and would gladly buy your slightly used one.

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve?
jinman said:
I think you seriously should consider renting the whole Bobcat-Auger setup and not use the tractor. There are augers that can run off of low flow, but I think the Bobcat ones generally run best with 12 to 16 gpm. If you put a remote on the tractor, you'll have to run big 1/2" hoses all the way up to the auger for the best flow. The cost will probably exceed $200 just for that, plus the $550 for a remote, plus the rental fee for the Bobcat auger. If you buy a regular 3PH auger, you can sell it later on CL, but you won't get much over 1/2 price. I really like rear remotes on our tractors, but I'd compare the complete price to the cost of a rental of a Bobcat with auger and see where I came out on money.

So price is comparable for the valve and hoses and about 2 weeks rental of the auger to a new quality 3pt digger.

The thinking is with a loader mounted one I can exert downward pressure which you cant with the 3pt version. My understanding is you can also reverse the flow and back a stuck auger out with the hydro versions. Also the remote valve gives me additional options down the road.

Sure - I could sell the digger on CL and get some back but then the NEXT time I have a fencing project I'm in the same pickle.

I'm trying to see if I can have my cake and eat it too. If it ends up costing more for me in week 3 of a rental - well- I still will have rear remotes for future work.

(from my op - is my understanding of the valve operation correct?)

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve? #5  
To my knowledge, there is no detent valve for our tractors. They all return to center when released and you have to bungee them to one direction or the other.

/ Add TC45DA rear hydro valve?
jinman said:
To my knowledge, there is no detent valve for our tractors. They all return to center when released and you have to bungee them to one direction or the other.

That would make for annoying operation of a PHD or anything that needs continuous flow.