Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #1  

drivingby

Tractor
72 ford 2000 diesel, 8N
Recently acquired a 1972 2000 Ford 3cyl diesel tractor for occasional use. Getting ready to service the machine and oil low on check. Needs to be added but there is no obvious place on either side of engine. Only likely place is on left side of block below the oil filter but looks like a cap w/ a bolt through it and a line off a fitting on the cap running up under the instrument panel. Know it's a stupid question but yes or no from someone who knows will eliminate a lot of hacking around on this thing. Thanks in advance for any help from anyone that really knows what they are doing.

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #2  
Mine has been gone for about 10 years now, but I seem to recall a cap, up on top of the hood, that you just pulled off to add the oil. Mine was always a good running tractor that never needed any oil between 100 hour changes. I am sure that if you just "googled" "Ford 2000 diesel tractor", you will be able to find the spot in a few minutes. Also, Soundguy will be along shortly to tell you where it is with certainty (mine is a guess). Good luck.

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #3  
Should be an oil fill neck at the front of the valve cover.

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #4  
How about you guys all look on the TIMING cover, front right side.

Post back what ya find.

;)

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #5  
View attachment 3000.pdf

look at part 23A it's a lil expansion plug with a T handle, lower right side of pic in top of timing cover.

that's the OIL FILL cap!

This pdf happens to be the gasser block.. but same deal..

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #6  
   / Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel
View attachment 364913

look at part 23A it's a lil expansion plug with a T handle, lower right side of pic in top of timing cover.

that's the OIL FILL cap!

This pdf happens to be the gasser block.. but same deal..

Thanks. You seem to be one of or the leader of this pack of pros. 23A in the schematic is the correct location and function but my 23A on the three cyl diesel is round black cap on a bolt (stud), through an expansion rubber plug. Found it earlier (online with pictures but nothing showing location) buried behind the loader frame, but its proximity to the injector pump (bolted right on the front) with no obvious connection to the block or pan from that location, made me a little queasy about dumping engine oil into it w/o doing a little more homework. Battery pretty much obscures everything on top of engine. Where one could expect the fill cap to be, as suggested by one of the other experts, on top of the rocker cover, there is a fixed breather tube that wends it's way over the front of the engine down to the back side of the radiator shroud.

This is my first time through here and received a msg from a Muhammad Chisti after logging in. Had no idea who he was so took a look at some of it's details w/o opening it and deleted it because of some of those details. Followed up and turns out he is the system administrator (owner?) for this site... along with several others of similiar construction. Far be it for me to cause hate and discontent anywhere but you pros that provide so much valuable advice to newbies should be compensated in some way from the ad revenues your hard won knowledge generate. Thanks again.
g.

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #8  
but its proximity to the injector pump (bolted right on the front) with no obvious connection to the block or pan from that location, .

It's in the timing cover.. which is bolted to the front of the block. with the loader frame in the way, It probably makes it difficult to see everything up there. ( just wait till you have to work on something.. and be glad it is not a gasser... they hid the fuel pump too! )

soundguy

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #9  
Apparently those wiley Ford engineer's gave people two options for adding engine oil..!! ;)
Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.

Sure they did. if you want to opent he hood and swwing the battery out of the way... which might be fun or not on a tractor with a loader. I much prefer the timing gear cover oil access plug vs the valve cover cap.. which.. IMHO.. is 99.999% of the time pretty dirty and covered with gunk.. gunk that likes to fall into valve covers with the cap off. ;)

the timing gear cover is pretty easy to spray off with a nozle on a hose.

Mind you i'm not a fan of the expansion plug used on that model.... but whatever works I guess. :) I've seen worse.. Like RAGS stuffed in the hole!!!!

/ Add oil where? 72 Ford 2000 3cyl diesel #10  
I will second Sounguy's "glad its not a gasser" comment. The 2000 diesel that I had, for about 10 years, didn't like starting in the cold (liked either), but seemed to have significantly more power than a 3000 gasser that I worked prior. That 3000 couldn't even "pull a hen of the nest" it seemed.