Actual width of 16 ft farm gate?

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
What is the normal width of a 16 ft gate? 15' 6"? 15' 8"? Or are they all different?

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #2  
Everything I’ve used was actual width and if the gate was hung between the posts you would add 4-8” (so 16’8” between posts in your case) depending on the latch used.....hinge side is typically about the same.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #3  
I think the Belen gates are 4" smaller than the spec opening. So 8' would be 92" of gate.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #4  
The dozen or so gates I've used were 3 or 4 inches less than the named size. A 12 foot gate was 11ft 8 in for 2 inches clearance between the gate and posts set exactly 12 feet apart.

Not saying they are all like that. You should check with the maker or seller.

Bruce

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #5  
What a very (to me, at least) unusual question?

Every gate that I've ever bought and installed has been clearly marked with the exact width. Different manufacturers... all clearly and accurately marked.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #6  
Every gate I have ever bought, and it has been a couple dozen of them of different brands, has been made to fit the advertised opening. So for example a 16 gate would fit between two posts 16 apart on the inside faces so the actual gate would be 15? or something close to that. Once you account for the hinges and a little clearance room it fills the 16 opening.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate?
What a very (to me, at least) unusual question?

Every gate that I've ever bought and installed has been clearly marked with the exact width. Different manufacturers... all clearly and accurately marked.
A friend of mine just bought a house with 57 acres. The driveway opening which now has only a wire gate has nice railroad tie H-posts with opening width of of 15' 11'. She would like me to install a gate. And I was vaguely remembering that my own gate was sized for the opening (12 ft opening for 12' gate). That's why I'm asking.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #8  
If it doesn't have to open both ways, you can put the hinges on the face of the post instead of the edge, and same way with the latch. Just will swing only one way though.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate? #9  
A friend of mine just bought a house with 57 acres. The driveway opening which now has only a wire gate has nice railroad tie H-posts with opening width of of 15' 11'. She would like me to install a gate. And I was vaguely remembering that my own gate was sized for the opening (12 ft opening for 12' gate). That's why I'm asking.

Oh, I understand now. You're wanting to fit a gate to an existing set of posts that are a non-standard width. I have 10 'farm' gates around my property and all of them (different manufacturers for some) are exactly the same width... the posts were all installed to fit the gates, not the other way around.

A Mate of mine came across an 'odd' gate opening. Instead of ordering a specific width (which you can), and because he had the necessary tools, he was able to re-configure/build one to fit.

/ Actual width of 16 ft farm gate?
I picked up a light duty 16 ft gate made.by Tarter. It is 15 1/2 ft, so no problem.