Accessory switch for Boomers

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #1  

markie61

Veteran Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King RK55HC with Loader & Backhoe; 2001 New Holland TC40D with Loader
Just wanted to document this before I throw away the package:

I added auxilliary lighting to my TC40D and wanted to use a rocker switch in the dashboard (there are 3 empty spaces.) I found a stock switch at Lowes for less that $4 that fits PERFECTLY in one of the cutouts:

GB Gardner Bender GSW-45
20amp 125VAC
On-Off Heavy Duty
For appliances, automotive, marine
.250 spade terminals

Hope it helps!

Mark

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #2  
I think some pics of the finished product would be in order,the info is very helpful. I think the N H dlrshp quote me over $20 for the one I wanted,guess where I am going this weekend.....
Lloyd /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #3  
Mark,

I bought OEM NH switches with pilot lights for about $ 10.00 each. I knew that the switch opening was an standard type, but couldn't find a switch to fit locally without ordering 100. We're just getting Lowe's up here...I'll have to check it out.

I don't think that's a weather rated switch though ... is it ??

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #4  
Gardner Bender has all of their products listed online, in PDF format. The switch in question is in the following catalog. It's on page 24 of 27.

Here are the specs of the switch:
Part # - GSW-45
Pkg Qty - 1/card
Poles - S.P.S.T.
Toggle Position - ON-OFF
Terminal Type - Spade
Rated - 3/4 HP 125 - 250 V AC

Later,
Jay

/ Accessory switch for Boomers
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't think that's a weather rated switch though ... is it ?? )</font>

I don't think it is, in fact, weather rated. But the cheesy one that came with my light set worked all winter long, so I figure this better-constructed one will last ok. BTW, found my receipt and it was $3.72.
Mark

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hey at $ 4 a pop, you can have a few on standby !!! )</font> At 4 buck a pop, you could fill the empty holes with dummy switches too. Make that dash look really busy.

Daryl
Forage Services, L.P.

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #8  
markie61,

Thanks for the info on the switch. During the winter I wired some auxillary lights to use on my TC35D w/16LA FEL. As you probably know, the regular headlights on the tractor are blocked by the FEL. Since I was pretty busy at the time, it wasn't the prettiest install, but it worked--kind of.

I originally wired into the left turn signal wires that already had one rear auxillary light installed. With the two additional auxillary lights, I blew the stock 7.5 amp fuse. I went to a 10 amp, and it worked for awhile, but also blew.

I made a mental note of your post with the switch information. I considered going to a 15 amp fuse, but wasn't sure if the wiring would support that much current. So-- I called my dealer to ask what they thought, and after some conversation, they told me that my machine should have a 12v unused pigtail behind the seat on the right side. Sure enough, there it was.

I considered cutting a new switch position in the cover that has the cruise control and high/low range switches, but decided to use the exisiting cutouts on the dash.

With about $15.00 worth of switch, wire and wire loom, I re-did the install, and without meaning to brag, it came out looking real professional.

Thanks for sharing the info on the switches. I went to Lowes and bought a couple extra in case something else comes up. You were right, they fit like they were made for the Boomers. Thanks again.

/ Accessory switch for Boomers
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it came out looking real professional. )</font>

I know how you feel - it feels good to do something that looks clean and functions well. I replaced my father-in-law's '55 Ford with my NH. That thing is literally held together with baling twine. Among other things, the ignition switch dangles from the dashboard and all of the engine cowling is gone, while it leaks no less than 3 different fluid through jury-rigged connections. I vowed to myself (and my wife) I would never allow MY tractor to get in this condition.
Mark

/ Accessory switch for Boomers #10  
Not having a Lowes in my area and it not looking like Lowes does Internet ordering. I wonder where one could find this particular switch you installed
GB Gardner Bender GSW-45
I have checked the GB website and it doesn't even allow you to see the switch, never mind order it. I don't necessarily have a use for one, but would like to see it and at lest have the option of buying one.
Any ideas ??