AC issues... JD 5100e

/ AC issues... JD 5100e #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
It seems as though my AC isn't working as well as it used to.

JD 5100e - 1500hrs (I've put on about 1100 in 2 years)

Heater works fine. Blower works. The AC just doesn't get very cold. And I hear about it every time my wife gets in to do any mowing.

I've cleaned the condensor screen by the radiator. I've insured it is charged and pump/clutch is engaging. It will 'cool' a bit, but it really isn't doing what I'd expect for AC.

I have 2 cab intake filters, which I've changed. (They are long filters under the eves of the cab on both sides.) I don't know whether these feed the AC unit or whether they are just passive air turnover.

I don't know whether there are any OTHER filters associated with the AC unit. I've never found anything and I see nothing in the Operator's Manual, as far as I can tell. I've never 'taken the roof off' to see what is going on in the AC unit itself, but I don't know whether that might be a useful endeavor.

I'm stumped. It acts as though it is only partially charged (cools but not cold). Even when charged to correct pressure and everything is cleaned up. It isn't that it isn't working at all... it does, but it is minimal. This is on even cooler days, not scorchers.

Any thoughts? Is there another filter, that I could be missing, for AC air intake? Other than the 2 cab-side filters, I've never changed a filter except main tractor intake.

5100e operators manual

/ AC issues... JD 5100e #2  
When I view the 5100E parts catalog I find ""4 AC air filters"" 2-RE198488 & 2-RE195491. Your wife might be happier if you installed ""all 4 brand new filters"" or at least blow the dust off the 4 filters!!!!! 1st thing I would recommend is putting manual shut-off valve in heater hose. My JD 4255 has had manual cut-off valve in heater hose every since I purchased it in '93.

/ AC issues... JD 5100e
I'll have to check up inside, but I believe there is only a single filter per side. If not, that is likely the issue, as I have only ever changed the one directly under the cover. I hope this is the case and it is just an airflow issue. But, the air moves pretty well... is just isn't cold. I guess I could pull the cover off the cab portion of the expansion chamber and see if it is dirty. It should be sealed, but I guess it could be a problem. I just don't know.

/ AC issues... JD 5100e #4  
Parts catalog lists 2 each key 1 & 2 each key 8

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 484
   / AC issues... JD 5100e #5  
Sounds more like the heater control valve. I just went through this on my 5520. What happens is it doesn't shut off completely. Here's a quick test. Takes 2 vise grips and 4 thin strips of wood. Find your heater hoses under the cab (mine are under the left side) and clamp both hoses. Run tractor at about 1200 - 1500 rpm. If you have an AC thermometer check after about 10 minutes. If it's staying cold then the valve is bad. About $100.

/ AC issues... JD 5100e
Sounds more like the heater control valve. I just went through this on my 5520. What happens is it doesn't shut off completely. Here's a quick test. Takes 2 vise grips and 4 thin strips of wood. Find your heater hoses under the cab (mine are under the left side) and clamp both hoses. Run tractor at about 1200 - 1500 rpm. If you have an AC thermometer check after about 10 minutes. If it's staying cold then the valve is bad. About $100.

Thanks RPW and Tx Jim. I have seen the schematic showing 2 filters, but I don't see how they could be in there, but I'll be checking this weekend. I also check the heater and see whether it is warming my cold air. That's a good idea. It cools off... but not to the degree that I'd expect, so it could be something like a heater valve partially open.

/ AC issues... JD 5100e #7  
I do not know about anyone else, but when I come home from work in this cold weather, my heart feels as if it is being frozen. The more time I spend in front of the AC, the more I start to like it. The cooling effect of the AC seems to make my skin feel smooth and soft. In contrast to the extraordinary cooling effect created by the sun, exposure to cold air does not seem to damage the skin ordinarily. It looks as if it has been genetically modified to withstand freezing temperatures — just like human skin. So I am delighted that I installed a modern heating system.

Last edited: