Buying Advice About to buy, but advice needed

/ About to buy, but advice needed #1  

Gigabelly

After speaking with multiple people, the consensus is that I need a 50hp with loader as a base. I also need a tiller and brush hog. I am currently leaning towards a NH TC40A that I found on craigslist. He will throw in a brush hog free and is asking $15k. I think he will take less (mainly because e said he would). The seat needs replaced and he reports everything else works great. It's a 07 with the loader. Did have to have some work on the hydraulics but otherwise no history of problems. Thanks in advance for advice. I respect your opinions.

/ About to buy, but advice needed
Also, I gotta transport this thing about 3-4 hours from where it is to here. I thought I would just get u-haul vehicle trailer, but quickly realized that was not an option. Any suggestions on a service to move it for me? Other ideas?

/ About to buy, but advice needed #3  
I know around here it would not be hard to find someone with a equipment trailer ( farmer or small construction company ) that in their off season would be glad to do it for a small fee .

/ About to buy, but advice needed #4  
After speaking with multiple people, the consensus is that I need a 50hp with loader as a base. I also need a tiller and brush hog. I am currently leaning towards a NH TC40A that I found on craigslist. He will throw in a brush hog free and is asking $15k. I think he will take less (mainly because e said he would). The seat needs replaced and he reports everything else works great. It's a 07 with the loader. Did have to have some work on the hydraulics but otherwise no history of problems. Thanks in advance for advice. I respect your opinions.

There's an old Latin saying, "caveat emptor" ("buyer beware").

Have you seen the tractor and driven it and used the loader, etc. ? Don't get the "must haves" until you eyeball it and check it out thoroughly. How many hours on the machine and what did the seller say it was used for? Why is he selling it?
What kind of problems was he having with the hydraulics and what was the fix for the problem?
It might be a great tractor but you need to use due dilligence to evaluate if it's what you want.

/ About to buy, but advice needed #5  

Welcome to the forum. I read some of your past posts and am wondering what makes you feel like you need a tractor in the 50 hp range for 7 acres? Power is always nice but maneuverability really helps at times. Most 35 hp tractors will run a 6' rotary mower. I have a 39 hp and a 21 hp tractor on 32 acres and the smaller one is used more often. Of course every setting is different.

MarkV

/ About to buy, but advice needed #6  
I have a 2005 TC40DA HST. It is a great tractor for a 6' rotary cutter or 6' tiller. I have both. Just check it out thoroughly. Ask if you can bring it home for a trial run for a few days.

/ About to buy, but advice needed #7  
My other question would be if you think you need 50hp why are you looking at a 40hp (33hp PTO) tractor? I think the TC40 would do the job. You should also consider getting a trailer to haul your tractor and equipment. My wife questioned me about getting a trailer just to haul the tractor home. She understood after our first year when we used it so often to move equipment and materials for our place, like fence, pallets of shavings, arena drag, etc.

/ About to buy, but advice needed #8  
You could pay a local dealer for an inspection of the tractor. Would be money well spent.

As to travel, you will want a trailer in the long run. A 16' flatbed would likely work well for you. I have a TN and find that the 10,000 # gvw is inadequate for me, but probably spot on for this machine.

A side note, the TC loader was available with a skid steer attachment option. That's a real plus in bargaining.You wouldn't believe how convenient a set of forks are. Anyhow, the loader can be changed with parts from the loader manufacturer or after market.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a TC40 when events changed and I bought the TN. The only thing I didn't like about the TC line is that a 2 year old new tractor needed a new seat. That appears to be an issue with the materials NH uses on that model line. Should be easy to fit something else to it. Others posted issues with wiring and corrosion at the connectors (cab models excepted). So make sure all wiring/switches/electrical work correctly. Gremlins are a pita.

Good luck!

/ About to buy, but advice needed #9  
Welcome to the forum Gigabelly. Your question about moving the tractor could be answered better if you give us some idea of where you are. Moving in Texas is a whole lot different than moving in Maine for example.

As others have mentioned, you really want to check out a used machine thoroughly. I would be especially concerned about the PTO. It's easy to abuse the PTO clutch/brake on these machines if they are not engaged slowly at low engine rpm and disengaged at low rpm also. If the PTO clutch is worn, it could be a big dollar repair and require splitting the rear of the tractor. You'll also want to make sure the transmission clutch is strong too. With a loader, many operators let the clutch slip too much and it wears rapidly. You want a good tight clutch with plenty of adjustment left. Another thing is to engage 4wd and listen to the front axle for any weird noises, especially while turning. Of course check all fluid sumps for level and condition of fluids.

All the things I listed don't mean the tractor is bad, but rather they are just things that this brand of tractor needs to have checked before making a purchase of a used machine with no warranty.

/ About to buy, but advice needed #10  
Welcome to the forum. I read some of your past posts and am wondering what makes you feel like you need a tractor in the 50 hp range for 7 acres? Power is always nice but maneuverability really helps at times. Most 35 hp tractors will run a 6' rotary mower. I have a 39 hp and a 21 hp tractor on 32 acres and the smaller one is used more often. Of course every setting is different.

MarkV

I handle 7 acres with 20hp (17 pto). I wouldn't mind a couple more ponies occasionally, but certainly no need for 40 or 50.