AAA

/ AAA
To me...it's not "paved" any more than a gravel road is paved...but I guess it could be considered "paved with gravel/shell" etc., etc...!
To me "paved" would be with some sort of bituminous surface to keep the material in place. If it's applied loosely with a dump truck or otherwise, with nothing to hold it in place; it isn't paved.

But that's just my opinion.

/ AAA #62  
To me...it's not "paved" any more than a gravel road is paved...but I guess it could be considered "paved with gravel/shell" etc., etc...!
Just modern bastardization of the term. Paving goes back well before modern concrete or asphalt was a thing.

/ AAA #63  
We have it through American Family. Love it. Roll off delivered our SUV with bad fuel pump exactly in front of my shop door. Also one lock out and 2 jumps and I was always happy with the wait. Doesn't matter if it would be my Harley or a truck and loaded car trailer. Like others have said, Peace of mind.

/ AAA #64  
When the people around here say the road is paved, it means one thing, concrete.
Other popular road surfaces are blacktop and gravel.
And lastly, in southern Iowa there are a few plane old dirt roads that are great for pheasant hunting.

/ AAA
When the people around here say the road is paved, it means one thing, concrete.
Other popular road surfaces are blacktop and gravel.
And lastly, in southern Iowa there are a few plane old dirt roads that are great for pheasant hunting.
The road which I started this thread on was paved... with about 6 inches of ice. A couple of places it's a bit dicey if you aren't paying attention.

/ AAA #66  
Been a member of AAA for over 30 years now (my parents got me my first membership) and I did the same for my boys when they started driving.

One time, moving from Pa to WV when I was single, had to use them at 0100 on a Saturday morning in Maryland. They towed my VW Golf all the way to Morgantown (always remember that one).

Being that I've never owned a new car with "0" on the odometer (which would lead me to believe you shouldn't have a issue with your car for the first 3-5 years), I've found their service vs what I pay invaluable. 3 personal vehicles approaching 600k total on all of them now and you're bound to have a issue pop up from time to time unexpectedly.

I will say they are getting heavy on the technology with smart phones, which I do find irritating sometimes.

/ AAA #67  
I haven’t seen the need because I have the same roadside services available with my Allstate auto insurance.

Same heree but it took me almost 30 years sto find that out. 30 years later and I am still getting new cards in the mail from them trying to sign me back up.

/ AAA #68  
We have the same "unmaintained" dirt(ish) roads up here in north Iowa. I can't get down them, without a snowmobile now. The pheasants seem to like the edges of the cleared roads, however. Dang things are everywhere... :)

/ AAA #69  
We have the same "unmaintained" dirt(ish) roads up here in north Iowa. I can't get down them, without a snowmobile now. The pheasants seem to like the edges of the cleared roads, however. Dang things are everywhere... :)
I'm sure y'all already know this, but some may not. Pheasants (and some, many?, birds) need to eat gravel to digest their food.

I've been all across northern Iowa, mostly in the NW. Used to play rugby at 'Boji every summer. Played some matches in Storm Lake, too. Iowa is only about 20 miles from Sioux Falls, so many of my co-workers lived there around Larchwood or so. Where I grew up was similar in terms of roads. Some blacktop, some gravel and a lot of dirt (mixed with weeds at times). Back when I was 19-20 we would go to the clubs in Sioux City because the drinking age was 19 there. (In SD it was 18, but only for 3.2).

/ AAA #70  
Dang things are everywhere...
MMM, I'm licking my chops just thinking about it. (y)

I like the gently rolling landscape up there. This pic was taken about 15 miles upstream from you, up Shell Rock River.

Attachments

• P1010012 [].JPG
    P1010012 [].JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 51