a rough day :(

/ a rough day :( #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
My thrower is tore apart as I am rebuilding the upper apron and was waiting for the drive roller to be repaired when I had to bale hay. So I had the laborers who work our vineyard help and yesterday was a good day. Put up 850 bales before they got tired of stacking behind the baler. Well today the rain was suppose to come in late so I wasn't too worried. Got started like normal and 30 minutes in the baler stops tying bales. Look it all over and find out a spring broke. So I go to the local NH dealer in desperation as I need this spring and am paying two guys to sit in a field. Get the spring and get back to baling. Well, the two guys today were different then yesterday and the one was not enjoying himself and was slowing the entire operation down and all he had to do was pull the bales from the baler and set on the wagon for the other guy to stack. I was going as slow as my TN will allow and had to actually throttle down just so he could keep up. It took me 3 hours to bale 340 bales (yesterday we did 850 bales in 5 hours with 15 minute breaks between loads).

Well as I was trying to finish the field I was watching the sky get darker and darker. Finally get done and get the first wagon hooked up to pull a half mile down the road and park in my barn. I get stopped by road construction (shoulder repair) and have to wait for what seemed like forever while the sky is rumbling and the winds are picking up. Finally get to the barn and as I start to back the wagon in I notice my wagon leaning hard to the right. The joists are all snapped on the right hand side except for the back two. So now I know I have to rebuild this wagons deck (metal basket) but I get it put in and head back to the field for the second wagon. As I pull up I see it leaning like it has a flat tire. Sure enough, the front tire is flat. Luckily I have my compressor filled already and in the truck. Put as much air as the compressor has in the tire and haul arse the opposite direction to put this wagon in my friends barn before the tire goes flat and the rain falls. Get it done with only a few sprinkles on the window.

My dad came and drove the baler home already and put it inside so now I have to unload the truck. I no sooner get all the tools out and park the truck when the sky opened up and the monsoon hit.

So for $700 worth of hay I had to pay $60 to my helpers, depending on the tire it may be $30 or $100 to fix properly and I have to replace the main beams and joists on one of my 9x18 kicker wagons. But yesterday was a great day and today was the end of my first cutting unless I decide to cut another 10 acres to put in my barn for selling later. The hay isn't as good now but I have none in there for my customers who need hay in the winter so I might cut 5-10 acres during the next window as I never know if the weather will let me get a good second cutting.

Hopefully everyone else is having a decent hay season.

/ a rough day :( #2  
Nobody on this end of the state and on into New England is having a good hay season. Rain upon rain, and there is a huge storm cell in Delaware County right now heading this way meaning what the local guys thought might bale tomorrow probably will get wet (again).

Not to pile on, Robert, but that thrower had problems when it was put away last fall. Machinery doesn't often heal itself in storage.

/ a rough day :(
Nobody on this end of the state and on into New England is having a good hay season. Rain upon rain, and there is a huge storm cell in Delaware County right now heading this way meaning what the local guys thought might bale tomorrow probably will get wet (again).

Not to pile on, Robert, but that thrower had problems when it was put away last fall. Machinery doesn't often heal itself in storage.

I know. I have no one to blame but myself with the thrower problem. My barn is not heated and I kept putting it off till warmer days but then I started working in the orchard and vineyards then corn and before I knew it I needed the baler. I have always had a bad habbit of putting things off till I get busy:( Of course I should be like Broker then broke and blame New Holland for it.

/ a rough day :( #5  
   / a rough day :(
No, that is 3 hrs wages.

$60 / 2 helpers / 3 hrs = $10/hr, not bad if you don't mind the work

Aaron Z

They only asked for $8/ hour but I gave them $10 as I know it is hard work.

/ a rough day :( #7  
i know how those days go, seemingly more often than a good day. heck $10/hr for loading a wagon is good pay compared to what i used to get paid for that work in my teens. over here in ct we haven't even put a bale in the barn yet, and its almost 4th of july. was hoping to get some cut this wekend ,but next week looks like rain everyday til wed.

/ a rough day :( #8  
My tedder is still down waiting for parts right now. I've only put in 15 round bales and lost another field so far. Also have to replace the pto seal on the tractor, leaking a cup an hour.

/ a rough day :( #9  
Robert,

I always enjoy reading your posts and what it takes to make a buck farming. I don't have any desire to do this myself, but do find it interesting and informative.

I'm the same way with repairs. I have a leak in my gear box to my rotary cutter. It's been something that I need to fix, but have been putting off. Now I have a job where I need it tomorrow morning and I'll just have to use it as it is. $200 to mow 3/4 of an acre for a big name realtor is one of those jobs that I can't pass up. I wish I had it fixed, but I'll just have to deal with it as it is for now and get it repaired when I can.

Eddie

/ a rough day :( #10  
At least you where able to bale. Its rained everyday for 2 weeks now and just about everyday in the month of june We've got over 6.5 inches of rain in a month that usually has 2.5. Today is clear but its supposed thunderstorm tonight and rain this weekend. We are way behind to say the least.