A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #1  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
Have a GC 1715 and looking at rotary cutters.... I believe a 48 inch will fit my needs (some tight places I have to cut) but a 54 inch is not out of the hunt.... Also looking at how low lower arms are on 3PT and how high the lower pins are on cutter I am wondering how well the "fit up" is and how much lift one can get on cutter.. Also note I have Quick Hitch on the 1715 but that should not change the geometry to much...

Any advice or modification or yeas or nays welcome....

Dale

Last edited:
   / A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #2  
What is the weight limit of the quick hitch ? A bunch of them have a limit that is much lower than the 3pt. weight limit ?

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715
No stated weight limit either stamped on HQ or product data of manufacturer... New to this whole tractor scene but I have yet to see weight limit for QH in any discussion...

Specs on tractor state 1191 pounds lift capacity (at ball ends), don't see why QH would not be able to handle it... Its a cat 1 QH so it would fit broad spectrum of tractors and weight capacities, manufacture states it will fit tractors up to 50 horsepower.... We are talking of rotaty cutter at about 482 lbs here for 48 inch and 545 lbs for 54 inch cutter....

Main concern is on this tractor the ball end of 3PH are only 24 inches off ground at full lift and my concerns is at what height pins are at on cutter and how much actual lift I can expect also stability of tractor with cutter attached and yes quality of cut... Other option is MMM and I don't think it will fit my needs as I am not expecting a golf course results and most of the time MMM will probably be a pain to have onboard for most operations (and ease of removal) when not mowing....

Dale

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #4  
DL,

Sometimes on all these implements and addon's you have to look really close in their descriptions or on the internet even to spot certain things.

I also have a GC1715 and it has a real decent lift capacity on the 3 pt as you also stated. Landpride as an example makes a real nice 3pt. quick hitch for scuts - and as an example - that one has a 700 pound weight rating. It doesn't sound like either size you are considering would be an issue - plus all that weight isn't on the 3pt hitch anyway. I have an mmm so unfortunately I can't offer any experience using a rotary cutter. Both have their advantages depending on backing up issues or turning or tight access areas.

I'm sure you'll get some responses from others with GC's (whether 2300/2400/2600/1700 series) relatively soon. There's a fair number of us on TBN.

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #5  
My only input (and I realize it may not apply to your situation, since I don't know what that is), is that I bought a used 60" 3pt finish mower, and replaced it with a new Zero Turn before mowing my lawn the first time. I found from my initial trials that it was just far too unwieldy for the lawn space I have. Or, dare I say, any typical lawn. We have about 1.5 acres of lawn area, but it has a lot of obstacles. It's a challenge even with the ZT.

I'm cutting 3 acres + and about 3/4 of that is somewhere between lawn and cow pasture...
Which kind of means fairly smooth but not golf course...

Dale

Last edited:
   / A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #7  
I have a Woods 4ft rotary cutter behind my GC1710 and the tractor handles it fine. I've cut 4ft high weeds with it.

If you cut tall weeds, be sure to periodically check the radiator screen. If you don't it will plug up and the tractor will run hot.

I have a Woods 4ft rotary cutter behind my GC1710 and the tractor handles it fine. I've cut 4ft high weeds with it.

If you cut tall weeds, be sure to periodically check the radiator screen. If you don't it will plug up and the tractor will run hot.

Good to know.... Thanks...

Dale

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #9  
I have the 60" mm drive over deck and a 48" brush mower.

When I'm traveling with the brush mower attached I screw the top link adjustment all the way in for better clearance.

I'm not sure you would be happy with a typical rotary cutter/ brush mower for your situation. They basically rip, not cut.

You would likely benefit from a 3 point finish mower or a 60" mid mount. IMO, the 60" drive over deck is a winner, although expensive! Not problem too attach and take off, I do it each and every time I mow since I use my tractor for so many other things.

/ A Rotary Cutter (PTO) for GC 1715 #10  
I think you are on the right track with a rotary mower/brush hog. The fellow that mentioned the radiator screen is exactly right. If you dont keep it clean, you tractor will tend to run hot. Next thing to consider is what you planned to do with it and how often. If you are going to cut tall heavy stuff alot, go with the smaller mower. If you plan on going to cut 6" tall grass, the bigger one will do. I got a 5 ft on a mf 1531 and in heavy tall stuff, my 1531 has a really tuff time. In really heavy stuff, i break out my allis (a 70+ horsepower tractor. )