A problem with widening up the rear wheels

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
I discovered a slight problem after I took my rears all the way out this weekend. The ramps I made for the trailer are only about 10" wide. So while the backs are on the fronts are barely handing on. I do maintain a pucker factor when loading and unloading you see. I may have to make some wider ramps even thought I only trailer it a few times a year.

Another option is to make the front axle adjustable. Right now it's just a hollow tube. Probably wouldn't be to hard to cut and make an insert. No FEL so it just carries the weight of the front of the tractor. The tie rod would have to be made adjustable, but I'm not sure of the control arm. I might have to scout out some new tractors to look at the set up. Any ideas or anyone done this?

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• tire-width.JPG
    tire-width.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 518
   / A problem with widening up the rear wheels #2  
IMHO it would be much better to make the ramps wider than to make the front axle adjustable.

My reasoning for this would be the future resell value of the tractor should you decide to upgrade or need to sell the tractor at some point. Altering the axle would mean a possible problem for a future owner in obtaining parts or adding a loader, even if you can refit the axle to look like a factory axle, it would be a definite turn off to me,

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #3  
Maybe two smaller, complementary ramps.... light weight but sturdy, just to pick the slack.

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #4  
RobJ said:
No FEL so it just carries the weight of the front of the tractor.

Yes, but that includes that brush guard that you apparently got off a tank!:D

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels
N80 said:
Yes, but that includes that brush guard that you apparently got off a tank!:D

that's right man, take a look at that sucker. It has been used!! And if I find a piece of 6" channel it'll go over the others to! I had to take off the ROPS top and my homemade cover to get it in the garage, even though this garage has 9' ceilings, the door is still 6'8" and I need 6'9", I ain't cutting the rops again. :D That cover almost killed me getting it off. I put it on in pieces I guess but took it off as a whole. I'm gonna need some help to reinstall.

Ramps, yeah I'll probably just widen the ones I have, never liked them because they are HEAVY, about 70# of steel each. They are about 7' long because the sled style trailer I built has a higher deck than a lo-boy. the trade off is the same 5' axle yeilds me a 7.5' deck width and no fenders (in hindsight I should have gone 8', the Texas limit is something like 106"). I just looked up steel weights and rebuilding with 3" channell won't really save me that much weight.

Thanks for the comments men,

Rob

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #6  
Max width is 102".

Making ramps out of steel is gonna be heavy no matter how you look at.

One idea is to put the ramp holders under the trailer length wise of the trailer so all you have to do is slide them out in place instead of having to carry them.

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels
Oh yeah, 102", 8.5 feet.

I sort of do that now, they slide under but I put a catch on the trailer so they slide in backwards. the weight is not a huge issue, I can still handle them and most of the time I keep them on top of the deck, even when trailoring the tractor. Just the idea I have to change something and it's not a project I'm really into. :( I also have to keep the ramps adjustable, I can load ATVs side by side facing front or sideways on the trailer.

Couple pics...

Attachments

• trailer-ramps1.JPG
    trailer-ramps1.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 250
  • trailer-ramps-sliding-in.JPG
    trailer-ramps-sliding-in.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 222
  • trailer-rampsinplace1.JPG
    trailer-rampsinplace1.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 205
  • atv-trailer-sbs.JPG
    atv-trailer-sbs.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 230
  • towrig.JPG
    towrig.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 242
   / A problem with widening up the rear wheels #8  
If you wanted to make it a little easier you could make it where your ramps always face fwd and all you have to do is pull them out and lift on one end to place them on the trailer instead of having to swing them around.

I can see where that would be a pain with heavy ramps...my ramps are only four ft.

It still would be better to modify the trailer/ramps than the tractor.

Oh by the way what size tires do you have on your trailer?

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #9  
Rob,
Can you flip the fronts so they are out wider?
Or are the centered on the rim? Mine were dished and when I flipped them out, I gained about 4" per side.

/ A problem with widening up the rear wheels #10  
I had to read every post to make sure somebody hadn't mentioned flipping the front wheels to make the front wider. Sure enough, 3RRL beat me to it again! Hopefully that is all you need to do, but if that won't work, take a disc of steel and build a spacer, rather than modifying the axle. That way you can take it out before a sale of the tractor, and it will also add to the front end weight.
David from jax