A new one for me

/ A new one for me #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
The pool pump on my above ground pool stopped working. First thing was to check the GFIC. Test button worked as it should and reset did too. Both clicked as they should. Plugged my 3 light tester in and no lights. Hmmm, reset usually wont work if there is no power to the outlet. Pulled out the Fluke and line side was showing 120v. Probed the outlet and no power. Strange! Probed the load side of the outlet and it was showing 120v. In my 40 years as a GC I have never seen the pass through portion of a GFCI work without the outlet itself working. Of course I dont know if the pass through was protected or not.

Time for a new outlet.

/ A new one for me #2  
I also have a GFCI outlet outside, every 3-4 years it goes dead and needs replaced. Although it's in the proper enclosure, I guess weather takes its toll after a while.

/ A new one for me #3  
I’m building a house and living on site in a tin can 24 ft camper. **** on wheels.

I have a construction electrical hook up, temporary. It has 2, 20 amp and 1 30 amp circuits, all gfi. I use the 30 amp circuit.

Every time we get a good lightening storm, which is literally every other day, every 49 hours, I lose power. Again last nite.

I’m a retired engineer but never completely understood electricity....or magnetism or gravity for that matter. It’s all magic to me.

I’m guessing that huge discharge of electricity, the lightening bolt, generated a huge magnetic field which then induces tiny currents, in pretty much everything that conducts?

I think gfis work by comparing minute amounts of current, looking for a balance. Very sensitive.

I’ve given up trying to fix it, just trying to understand.