a new form of state taxation

/ a new form of state taxation #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I just shelled out $80 to renew two motorcycle registrations. 2 years ago it cost me $50 for the same registrations. The state gave the reason of creating funding to repair roads and bridges but I thought my regular taxes do that. My Durango used to cost $40 two years ago. That is now up to $80 as well. Just curious what other states get for renewals. This state I live in is uncanny of what they think of to glom more money from its citizens.

/ a new form of state taxation #2  
My 31 Ford is $94 and I've had it 25 years and it was well used when I got it...

Just did the renewal on my 85 Chevy Van at $180

/ a new form of state taxation #3  
Folks about the only thing not inflating is income for most of us.

/ a new form of state taxation #4  
Folks about the only thing not inflating is income for most of us.

Vote for Change!

Oh wait, someone already tried that and it went from bad to worse...

My concern isn't those young enough that money is simply a replenishable resource that when more is needed you just go do more, my concern is those old enough they can't. Watching the past 40, the next 40 worries me...

/ a new form of state taxation #5  
The last time I renewed the registrations on our 2001 Ranger and 2002 Crown Vic, it was $67.25 each, but who knows what it'll be next time. And the registration on the little trailer I have to haul a lawn mower was $60.50, and since I've only used that trailer once in the last year, I'd have been ahead if I sold it and rented a U-Haul.:laughing:

/ a new form of state taxation #6  
The 2013 renewal of our registrations:

2006 Honda Civic w/110,000 miles:
Maine excise tax $66.20 (paid yearly based on value of vehicle)
State fee $35
Agent's fee $3 (town tax clerk's salary)
Total $104.20

2011 Dodge 3500 w/1,700 miles:
Maine excise tax $529.68 (paid yearly based on value of vehicle)
State fee $37 (+$2 for commercial plate to avoid over-weight fines)
Agent's fee $3 (town tax clerk's salary)
Total $569.68 (2012 total was $726.62)

The yearly excise tax on value falls fairly quickly, but as you can see, it has a long way to fall. :laughing:

You have to seriously consider whether you can afford the first 3-4 years of excise tax when buying a vehicle here.

/ a new form of state taxation #7  
New tag in FL is $225, but works out close to $400 out the door for registration, tag, and fees/taxes.

/ a new form of state taxation #8  
My 31 Ford is $94 and I've had it 25 years and it was well used when I got it...

Just did the renewal on my 85 Chevy Van at $180

Here in Ohio you can get a historical plate. One time fee of $10 for a vehicle over 25 years old. Of course, you are not supposed to use it as an every day driver. They stipulate "club use" or to and from auto shows, but I have seen some severe bending of that rule.

/ a new form of state taxation #9  
I know Oklahoma used to base their registration on the vehicle's value, so it was pretty expensive for new ones, but I don't know if that's still the case or not. Texas based theirs on vehicle weight.

/ a new form of state taxation #10  
Kind of misleading,some states don't have "income tax" and make revenues thru vehicle registrations.
Come to NY and you will have both!